AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my first post here

I have my pc and my hdtv not to far away from each other in my room. basically i want 2 in 1 pc from my pc, one like a normal pc, on the pc monitor with its own keyboard, mouse and speaker and the other one, on the hdtv as htpc also with its own keyboard, mouse and speaker.

The configuration i was thinking of

normal pc

- monitor connecting to dvi

- keyboard and mouse connecting to usb

- speakers connecting to onboard soundcard

htpc

- hdtv connecting to hdmi

- wireless trackball keyboard connecting to usb

- sound from hdmi to tv speaker

i want to make application that i use on my normal pc would show on the monitor and its speakers, and application that i use on htpc would show on the htpc and its speakers.

I havent bought trackball keyboard and hdmi cable so i couldnt try if it would work but i want ask you guys before i buy them if this configuration will even work

other stuff that may help: i use windows 7, radeon 5770, amd motherboard with integrated gpu

and could you guys give me a recommendation for a good trackball keyboard, one you could play fps games with

·
Registered
64 Posts
This won't work out well for various reasons, just buy a cheap Revo or something to use as your HTPC and you can still hook up your computer to play games with.

·
Registered
701 Posts
won't work unless you run some kind of virtual machine inside windows for one of the two sets, and then, don't expect it to be without issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies

if thats the case what are other possibilities. i dont think i want to use virtual machine since i would like to play games on the hdtv.

so alternative right now is to use extended monitor setting and set the sound output to hdmi when i want to use hdtv or is there better one?

and about the two keyboards, it is not possible for two people to use both keyboards at same time but if only one keyboard being used at one time it should work right? can somebody recommend me a good trackball keyboard, i want to buy one if it can work when im not using pc keyboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, you can have 2 keyboards and 2 mice plugged in at the same time with no issue.

The wireless keyboard/trackball that I have and recommend is the Adesso WKB-3200UB

Honestly, for the 2 monitor problem, you will get better performance in games if you're not powering your HDTV while gaming. I have a radeon hd 5450 and when I want to use my htpc for surfing at my desk, I just unplug the HDMI cable going to the TV. The card recognizes this and sends the signal entirely to my monitor. Also if you plug it back in, then the HDTV becomes the primary monitor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts