AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Denon x3500. I am thinking about getting a 2 channel amp, to power the two mains.

My reasoning is I want to have a stand alone DAC with a rasberry pi and feed the amp from the DAC. But I also
want to use the 2ch amp with the Denon, so that I am not puling out the wires every time I switch from 2ch to movies.

Since the amps I have looked at (something like a 2ch Outlaw) only take one input of RCA jacks. I think I need some sort of switch
before the amp, so that it can receive the analog signal from either the DAC or the pre-outs of the AVR.

Hopefully this is making sense and if so does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for. The price of the amp is about $299
so this is a fairly budget setup.

·
Registered
28,464 Posts
Why do you have to switch wires to switch from 2 channel to movies? The Denon will play 2 channel stereo just fine. I don't see the need for a 2 channel amp.

Can't the Pi connect directly to the x3500?

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you have to switch wires to switch from 2 channel to movies? The Denon will play 2 channel stereo just fine. I don't see the need for a 2 channel amp.

Can't the Pi connect directly to the x3500?
Yes it can, I keep reading about better sound quality having the DAC and AMP separate. Saw a review of the 3500 and it has a ton of distortion, it actually got a pretty poor rating.

Was thinking about an external DAC with the Pi.

The comment about changing wires around was that most amps I see are made for a single input, so either the DAC or the preouts of the 3500.

I understand this may all be pointless, but I am just trying to get some information.

This is the review
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3500h-avr-review.10053/

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Use an integrated amp with multiple inputs or...

I see the audio source amp100vs has 2 inputs and will conveniently switch automatically (consult manual see how exactly this works) and within budget. They also sell a class-D with more power.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use an integrated amp with multiple inputs or...

I see the audio source amp100vs has 2 inputs and will conveniently switch automatically (consult manual see how exactly this works) and within budget. They also sell a class-D with more power.
Oh wow that looks like it would work and affordable. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Oh wow that looks like it would work and affordable. Thank you.
the audiosource amp100vs is only 50 wpc... a lot less than the denon.

get the outlaw amp, or any other. use the pre-outs to connect the denon to the outlaw.

use an available analog input to connect the RPi to the denon.

use the "direct mode" to bypass the denon inboard DAC. So all you are using from the denon is the pre-amp section sans any signal processing.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

get the outlaw amp, or any other. use the pre-outs to connect the denon to the outlaw.

use an available analog input to connect the RPi to the denon.

use the "direct mode" to bypass the denon inboard DAC. So all you are using from the denon is the pre-amp section sans any signal processing.

From reading of the same article posted above using pure mode doesn't really alleviate the issues.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are amps of similar design to the AMP100VS with more power.
If you'd up your budget a bit, the OSD XMP300 is a similar Class-D amp with 150WPC (there's also the XMP100, priced like the AMP100VS, but that's only 75WPC).
At your budget, OSD also has the AMP200 Class-A/B amp with 125WPC and toroidal transformers. You may want to reconcile the glowing reviews on OSD's site and the poor ones on Amazon.
The auto-switch apparently prioritizes input 1, and if it's silent longer than the delay period, input 2 can take over. The delay can be set with a control on the amp.

OSD is both Optimal Speaker Design at osdaudio.com and outdoorspeakerdepot.com

So I have a Denon x3500. I am thinking about getting a 2 channel amp, to power the two mains.
The price of the amp is about $299
so this is a fairly budget setup.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes it can, I keep reading about better sound quality having the DAC and AMP separate. Saw a review of the 3500 and it has a ton of distortion, it actually got a pretty poor rating.

Was thinking about an external DAC with the Pi.

The comment about changing wires around was that most amps I see are made for a single input, so either the DAC or the preouts of the 3500.

I understand this may all be pointless, but I am just trying to get some information.

This is the review
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3500h-avr-review.10053/
There are a couple important things to note in that review.
1-Tests done are @ 2V. A general rule of thumb is 2V are tested for single ended (rca preouts) and 4V for balanced connection.
2-The internal amps clip at 1.4v which pollutes the dac measurement. Later on in the review, you will see Amir tested it at 1.4v and the DAC measures @ a SINAD of 96 which is very good. 96 is what is required for CD quality resolution. 1.4V is the master volume set at basically reference level (80/0 on the master volume). This means:
-If you use the x3500 without external amps and keep it below reference level it performs very well (SINAD of 96)
-If you use an external amp, purchase one that requires less than around 1.5v to drive it fully. Most of the amps often recommended from Outlaw/Emotiva/Monolith would fit the bill. If you use one of these amps.. you also get excellent performance. Use an Amp that requires more than that performance will decrease.
-Lastly, take a close look at how the internal amps measure, they are actually pretty good. Compare them with the Outlaw amps measured at audiosciencereview where they have measured the 5000 and the 7140 before assuming that there will be a big improvement.
The main dac graphic does in fact make the x3500 look like a poor performer, but it isn’t if used in the above situations. I have an x3500 in our living room with a pair of Revel M106 and it is a nice unit and performs well.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man that is super helpful thank you. They interpretation of the data is exactly what I needed.

I never listen at reference volume so it sounds like I am actually doing pretty good.

In light of all of that I think I will just forgoe this idea. I guess that leaves me with the question if I should even bother getting the "HiFi hat" for the pi that has a dac and analog outs. Or just stick with HDMI like I am now.

Honestly it sounds fantastic, just trying to get the most out of my gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts