AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 4080s. Recently I sought to stream the same show to each one from the same source PC (a PIII Toshiba notebook running at 1.2GHz) running SwapDV.

One of the Replays played the video as smooth as silk. The other stops every minute or so with a short "Video temporarily unavailable" message.

I was testing the Replays in two different homes, with different switches/networks, so to eliminate the switch/network as a possible problem, I experimented with connecting the Toshiba notebook directly to the problem 4080 using an ethernet crossover cable. No luck. I got the same problem when streaming from the Toshiba.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Tim

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think your PC is not streaming fast enough on the second ReplayTV. I sometimes see this when streaming from one Replay to another.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Rowe,

This may sound kind of simplistic, but what kind of network card do you have in the toshiba, any newer card should be a 100MB card, but sometimes companies put in 10 MB cards depending on the model you buy.

Also you might want to double check and make sure that instead of using autodetect for the network speed and duplex, you set it manually as some switches can send mixed signals to the network cards and then the card ends up at 10MB half duplex etc. Since the processor should be more than enough to handle streaming even the Replay files, I would look at the actual network card. If everything looks ok and the settings are what they are supposed to. I would get the latest driver from the website, and actually you might want to start by doing that.

as I said this might seem simplistic but sometimes the most simple solutions are the best ones.

TimT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TimT,

I will definitely try setting the card speed directly, rather than going to "automatic". Still, I don't understand why it would work great with one 4080, and not with a second 4080? Has Replay made any changes that anyone knows about (on the hardware side) that improves streaming performance? The Replay that is having trouble was a replacement sent by SonicBlue for a defective unit, and it appears to be "B" stock, possibly an early unit that they factory-repaired.

TimR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.