AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post and have been reading for a while now. I am going to moving to a new home in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decide what in wall speakers to go in the basement HT/Rec Room. The room is not too big (12x22) and I already have a Onkyo TX-NR636 that I will be using for the setup. I decided on in wall due to having small children that will be in the room a lot and want to save floor space/limit potential for damage by our boys. I am not concerned with the best out of my price range and understand I am likely sacrificing quality by going in wall. I am planning on the Fronts and Center to be in wall and rears to be in ceiling. Right now I am looking at the Klipsch R-3650II, with a R-5502II center, CDT-3650-CII rear and PA-120W for the sub. Someone on Amazon is selling these bundled together for around $1600. The more I read the more options pop up and would like a little guidance any of you could provide. I have also looked at Boston Acoustics and just now saw DefTech has some options in my price range but have a hard time determining which models would be better than the the Klipsch setup I described as the baseline. I am looking to spend $1600.....can I get some guidance on a good budget 5.1 build? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know my post was probably too general...here is two systems I am comparing

Option #1
Klipsch FR FL R3650II
Klipsch C R-5502II
Klipsch Rears CDT-3650-CII
PA 120W Sub

Option #2
DefTech FR FL UIW65
DefTech C UIW75
DefTech Rear UIW63/A
Sub SVS SB1000

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I don't think the Klipsch or Deftech speakers would be bad. The PA and SVS subs are pretty meh though. If it were me I would go with a Hsu package for a killer sub: some HIW in-walls and a VTF3 mk5. Hsu should be able to get you a package discount that comes under your budget. I think that setup will sound much better than the ones you are considering. The Hsu sub will be much MUCH better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know my post was probably too general...here is two systems I am comparing

Option #1
Klipsch FR FL R3650II
Klipsch C R-5502II
Klipsch Rears CDT-3650-CII
PA 120W Sub

Option #2
DefTech FR FL UIW65
DefTech C UIW75
DefTech Rear UIW63/A
Sub SVS SB1000
I have Klipsch KS-7800-THX as rears (they are cheap here in the UK £300, but expensive in the US) and i do not like them. They play nice high notes, but almost no mid range and some bass-whatever bass they are capable of. In the movies it sounds really balanced, but music not so much. Since you are going in-wall Klipsch, i thought i tell you my experience. they do not sound cheap, but i was expecting more from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The Hsu were not even on my radar....it looks like you can use one as a center but doesn't mention anything about putting the rear's in the ceiling. I am going to email Hsu to see if you can put them in the ceiling. Would it be bad to do the HIW's in the fronts and center and something else for the rear ceiling? I like the idea of a rockin sub.

Thanks for the feedback on the Klipsch's. I have heard that Klipsch has a sound some like and some don't. Plus I am worried that I would be paying a premium for the Klipsch name vs equal or superior quality of a lesser known brand.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Yes, you can use the HIWs as in-ceilings just as well as in-walls. You could also use a different in-ceiling speaker. I might be looking at the Infinity in-ceilings if you want a more traditional in-ceiling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok after reading up a little more on the Hsu's I am considering the following.

Option 1
Hsu Hybrid 3
1 VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub
2 HB-1 MK2
1 HC-1 MK2
2 HIWs or other for the rear

I am thinking it may be possible to do the bookshelf speakers if I keep them on top of the media center (tv will be hung) however I feel like they will be too close together and sandwiching the center channel. This will likely not be optional positioning or aesthetics but better speaker performance. Stands for the bookshelf units are out of scope as by 2 & 4 year olds would make short work of them.

Hsu Option 2
1 VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub
4 HIWs for fronts and rears
1 HC-1 MK2 center

I am thinking this may be a good comp by keeping most in the wall. I will still need to have a media center but figure the center channel will be fine on top and be in the correct position.

What do you think? Any other contenders in this quality/price range?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
There are lots of other good bookshelf speakers in that price range like Ascend and HTD, however what is nice about the Hsu set is you get a timbre-matched surround in-wall system and the VTF3 mk5 is very much at the top of the hill in its price range. If you decide on an all Hsu system, contact Hsu to see if you can get a package discount, I am sure they would be willing.

As for your options, that is a tough one. Bookshelf speakers are generally better performers than in-walls, however the placement you have for them is just not very good. What you ideally want is to form an equilateral triangle with your listening position and the left and right speakers, if you can do this with in-walls better than bookshelf speakers, yes, do the in-walls. However, if you are able to do in-walls, maybe you are able to mount bookshelf speakers with a mount like this one? That would be better than in-walls because you can 'aim' the speakers for an optimal toe-in angle. Those mounts are by far the best for the price, so if you decide you want to mount the front speakers, stick with those videosecu mounts.

By the way, seeing how you are a cubs fan, if you live in the Chicago area, you may be able to give a listen to a Hsu system and meet the Dr, as Hsu will be one of the exhibitors at Axpona this year, April 24-26 in Rosemont.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Cubsfan16
i can tell you from experience the SVS SB-1000 matches nice with the Def Tech speakers. Did you consider on wall speakers for the FL & FR and center or a table top center if your going to have a entertainment center below your wall mounted TV. Much simpler job. My room is about the same size as yours.
I'm running:

Def Tech Mytho 2's wall mounted.
Def Tech Pro Center 1000 table top mounted
Def Tech Di 5.5 R in-wall / in ceiling mounted
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, front corner setting

Cost me $1497.00 for this set up new. All speakers are readily available on Amazon , E-bay or crutchfield and of coarse SVS. I heard and tested alot of speakers before settling on the Def Tech speakers. I really wanted to try a HSU sub or outlaw but just didn't have the room for a down firing sub or rear ported sub. I am real happy with the SVS SB-1000 in my room set up. I also thought about going with the Def Tech RLS III in-walls for the front 3 speakers but at @479.95 each i will stick with the wall mounted Mytho2's as they do an excellent job even when i play music in 2.1. I am using a Marantz receiver with Audyssy . You could even move up to a Pro center 2000 if you thought the 1000 wasn't up to your satisfaction. Very clean looking system. everything is pretty much up and out of the way. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I have not considered the on wall yet but will read up on the def tech Mytho's. We close on our house next Friday and still need to measure for the TV (65" 4K) and where the speaker positions will be in relation to the TV. There is a small closet behind a portion of the TV wall I am hoping I can conceal everything in. If so, I may do without the entertainment center which is a push for a total in wall system. If the closet doesn't work out then I will get a entertainment center which could hold the center channel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.