AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to home audio. I need something for movie watching and maybe occasional music listening. This is for a moderately large living room, and it is shaped too oddly for a 5.1 setup. I wouldn't mind staying under $500 if possible.

I was thinking of this setup:

TV Audio Out to Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver ($194 Amazon)

with

Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer x2 ($140 for the pair Amazon)

However I am not sure if the 50 Watts /channel of that receiver is enough to drive those big boy speakers. Like I said I'm new to this so if I'm doing something wrong please recommend something better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did some more digging and for about $100 more I can get either the Onkyo TX-8555 or the Harman Kardon HK 3490.

The TX-8555 is 100W/channel and the HK is 120W/channel, which seems adequate to drive those floor speakers. Any objections to what I am doing? This is a first crack at it for me based on reading reviews.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
First rule of thumb: Spend more on the speakers than the receiver. Definitely more bang for the buck.

My preferred inexpensive tower speakers would be the Infinity Primus P362 or P252. Unless your room is huge and/or you listen at ear-splitting volumes, the smaller Onkyo receiver should suffice. If you want more power for even less money, consider the Sherwood RX-4105. That plus the P362s will come in below $500.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Onkyo 8255 hooked up to a pair of PSB Image B25's bookshelves and I'm quite happy with the sound quality. The speakers are a rated at 4-6 ohms and the 8255 has no trouble with them. I'd save on the receiver and spend every dollar you can on a pair of good speakers. If you have a large room to fill the quality of the speakers is going to make the most difference.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
HK amp is rated only for 8 ohm; (back panel says speakers have to be 8 ohm min.)

I am not sure if it can be operated well with 4 ohm speakers.

You are mistaken. See the spec sheet .

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
i know they have a power RATING for 4 ohm; but why does the rear panel say only 8 ohm?

look at the box where the speaker connections are: it clearly says "speaker 8 ohm" on top and bottom of the box.

Where does it say "only" or "minimum"? It doesn't. They're merely identifying the nominal rating of the output. There's no reason you can't plug a 4-ohm speaker into an 8-ohm tap. These days, I'll bet practically every speaker output on every receiver is 8 ohms. (In the old days, this was often switchable.) Maybe one of the engineers around this joint can explain further. I think you're reading more into that marking than was intended.

If an amp is rated for 4 ohms, then it is safe for 4 ohm speakers, period. (Otherwise, they'd have trouble coming up with the rating, which is done under much more exacting conditions than you're ever likely to impose.) Amps that aren't rated for 4 ohms are also often safe for 4 ohm speakers as well, though you should check with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i know ; it doesn't say "ONLY 8 ohm"

what i meant was i only see 8 ohm printed there and NO mention of 4 ohm.

and that's what my concern was; I just felt more comfortable going with an amp that was clearly and safely rated for 4 ohm speakers, and did not want to have any doubts about doing it.

I am sure if I "checked" with HK, they would say it is safe (and it prob'ly is, too), but it just feels better to know that i can safely enjoy lower ohm speakers with my amp, whenever i upgraded, and for future changes etc ...just felt more flexible, and safe, you know?

so I went with an amp that clearly states and displays the fact that you can connect 4 ohm speakers and not worry about it, ever.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Better safe than sorry, of course. But no one who has 4 ohm speakers hooked up to that receiver has to worry about it, ever, either.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 /forum/post/16943323

i know ; it doesn't say "ONLY 8 ohm"

what i meant was i only see 8 ohm printed there and NO mention of 4 ohm.

and that's what my concern was; I just felt more comfortable going with an amp that was clearly and safely rated for 4 ohm speakers, and did not want to have any doubts about doing it.

I am sure if I "checked" with HK, they would say it is safe (and it prob'ly is, too), but it just feels better to know that i can safely enjoy lower ohm speakers with my amp, whenever i upgraded, and for future changes etc ...just felt more flexible, and safe, you know?

so I went with an amp that clearly states and displays the fact that you can connect 4 ohm speakers and not worry about it, ever.

I have the HK-3490. The documentation that came with it clearly indicates it is rated for 4 ohm speakers. I have used it with 4 ohm speakers with absolutely no problems and have had no reason to worry about it...ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts