AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just joined the site and I am looking for some advice on a fairly simple and inexpensive surround sound system (possibly a good HTIB).

So as of now my budget is about 750-800 dolllars max. Half of this amount is in gift cards on Amazon so I would really like to buy at least some of this on there.

I am looking to get a good bluray player that can stream: Netflix, Pandora, and Youtube... And a nice 5.1 surround sound system that can be used with it. I have been looking at this system as a possibility because it includes the bluray player with all of the above mentioned capabilities; however, I am not all that excited about the speakers that come with it.

The system I was going to put a link for but I can't because of the 3 post rule is for the LG LHB977 1000-Watt Blu-ray Disc Home Theater In a Box.

So if any of you could give me some advice on how I should do this (HTIB or similar priced seperately) I would really appreciated it.

Thanks,

Zach

·
Registered
29,117 Posts
Here's your link. The descrption says its does Pandora Internet radio as well as Netflix streaming.
http://www.amazon.com/LG-LHB977-1000...0719903&sr=8-1

When you're getting that many features for $600, something has to give. In this case its at least the speakers, maybe receiver quality too.

I highly doubt you can get seperates including a BD player, HD audio receiver, and 5.1 speaker system for the same price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both for your replies. I was and still am looking at some of the Onkyo setups as s44 suggested. They have some pretty fair priced 5.1s on Amazon and it would still leave me in a position to get a decent bluray player as well. The room is fairly small so it does not have to be anything that extravagant but I DO want it to be good quality.

P.S. Will any receiver work with any bluray player? I am guessing yes but I just want to be certain.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
what exactly must fit within that $800 budget? is that including the Blu-Ray player, the receiver, and the 5.1 speakers?

Quote:
Will any receiver work with any bluray player?

yes, any of them will "work" but you will get varying degrees of quality and functionality depending upon the combination.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, hoping to squeeze it all into that budget... The bluray player doesn't have to for sure have all those capabilities as I have a vudu box on the way that will take care of wireless streaming. A decent set of speakers (Onkyo HTIB or other sort) and bluray player/receiver is what I am hoping to get. Any suggestions are great as I just want a nice setup for a small bedroom that will play music well and have good sound for movies.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The better AVR you get the less expensive the blu-ray player you need. With a good avr it will decode DD True HD audio and DTS master Audio (lossless formats used on blu-ray for best quality) so the the BR player doesn't have to have them. The better (more expesive) blu-ray players have 7.1 analog out which you do not need if you are decoding in the AVR and send the audio by HDMI to the AVR.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok that's good to know... Is there any receivers that you recommend? Basically I have limited the search to Onkyo just because they are a reliable brand. I am fully open to suggestions on this. I just started looking at speakers, and found the Energy Take 5s to be an interesting choice barring someone that said they aren't the best if you like to "blast" music.

Here is a preliminary idea for a setup, please tell me what you would change and if these would work well together...

http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?prod...il=1&ext_war=1

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic.../dp/B001202C44

and some type of netflix streaming bluray player... Undecided of which one yet..

So, good? Bad? Let me know.

Also... I have no idea on buying speaker wire... It is less than 10 feet that I will need to run from the speakers to the receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts