Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to HT, and am ordering my Z3 in a couple days...

Going to have a 92 in screen (maybe 96, but I want to go 92 for wall size), from a 12 ft throw (92 is the min).

In the meantime, I just mounted my shelf (basement office, so ceiling mount wasn't really an option), but my power plug will be about 9 ft away using runners to get it there cleanly.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get a 9ft power cord replacement? or is it a "standard" type cord I can buy anywhere? I'd like to order the longer power cord ahead of time, so it's here with my component and dvi-hdmi cables.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ran into a problem similar to this. I have a Z2 ceiling mounted and cables running along the ceiling. I couldn't easily hide the cables due to 100+ year old plaster ceilings that I didn't want coming down. I ran cables along the ceiling and concealed them with some trim I made. Problem was, the power cord was only 6ft it it was 8 ft to my back wall. I tried an extension cord, but the end of the extension cord I had increased the space I needed to hide with trim. Skinny cables are one thing, an extension cord end is another.

I did a lot of searching, mostly only found replacement 6ft cords, but finally found this great company that sells just about every variation of power cords in various lengths, and they had a 10ft length that was exactly what I needed.

Here's their website:

http://www.digikey.com/

Their site's a little weird to navigate, you have to look up products in PDF catalogs, then punch in item numbers.

Here's a shortcut to their AC Line cords catalog:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T052/0896.pdf

I used catalog item #Q140-ND.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much !! I'll look and order, 10ft would be perfect. I'll check to make sure the part number is ok.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpman22
cant you just use a typical extension cord?
Not if you want it to look good. Trying to hide an extension cord is tough.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
you would be better off finding the ends and making your own with SJ cord (home depot). That way you can make it any length you want and change it later if you want. Now, I used to know the ANSI?? number that represents the connection Sanyo uses, but I forgot it now. I know you can build it for under $10 though.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Not if you want it to look good. Trying to hide an extension cord is tough.
So it's possible for a visible cord to look good?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope
So it's possible for a visible cord to look good?
I'm not sure I said that. I said it's hard to hide an extension cord and make it look good. If you are running your cables in a channel along a wall or ceiling, it sure is easier without a bulky end plug in the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's exactly what I'm doing...

Painting a wall runner since i have to shelf mount, and mounting in wall isn't an option. I have an extension cord, but no way it'll work with the runner (wife said no go :p on the extension cord. lol).

Going to order a 10ft one I think from the link above...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.