AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent countless hours (a day) trying to get the correct answer, but it seems there are several different opinions...

I have a medium size room (loft), 60A2000 HDTV, JBL 5.1 speakers running and a yamaha receiver (non hdmi). I have a PS3 and HD DVD A1 player...

My question is, I want to upgrade to a HDMI receiver that will be useful with HD and BD, play True HD etc. in a 7.1 set up.

Several people say stick with 5.1, other 7.1, some say wait for 1.3, others that even 1.1 will do the job. So I have looked at BB, and there is a nice Yamaha receiver (999.00) 1080p HDMI receiver, that the sales people say is VERY nice, there is also a Sony at around 250ish HDMI that upconverts...(sorry I don't know the model #'s).

My biggest question: What is a good (lossless-7.1-truehd-plays all formats) receiver?????

And a "side" question... Keep the JBL speakers and add 2 more, go for the Quintet III and add 2 more, or ???? I'm just looking to really experience the PS3 Blu ray and HD DVD to the fullest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated =p

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
180 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? From what I have read, and please someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, is that any receiver HDMI 1.1 or higher will play all lossless audio formats. The codecs in the player (HD/BD) decode the audio before sending it, and the receiver just plays that through 1.1. The guys at BB don't always know what they are talking about, not all, but most will try to sell you something MORE than what you actually need, must be nice getting paid on commission. Anyway, I would say keep your speakers, upgrade the receiver to anything HDMI 1.1 or higher, and add 2 surrounds to your system and you won't be disappointed. Just the $1.50 from this non audiophile

·
Registered
180 Posts
Again, need to know your budget. No one will really be able to truely help you out without know what kind of budget you have. I can't give any advice on what type of receiver to get, as I do not have the experience needed to be able to suggest one to you. Please provide a budget, and hopefully someone else will be able to chime in and give you some suggestions on receivers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry.

My budget is fairly open. I really want to stay 1000.00 *USD and below for the receiver, and would prefer a 500ish cost leaving a gap for 1.3 if it comes to pass that there are significant reasons to need one. Also if I keep the JBL speakers I will need to buy at least 1 more, as i have the 6.1 set.

Although, some say the Quintet III speakers would make a big difference on sound quality, thats $499.00 + the cost of a sub $300/400 and the extra 2 speakers $ ?, to get to the 7.1 sound that route.

Normally budget wise, I wouldn't mind, but I purchased the 60A2000 HDTV due to the Sony KDS XBR1 50' 1080p issue I had, only to find out Sony is taking responsibility for this and replacing my XBR1 with another 60A2000 or XBR2 for a marginal cost. so 3/4ish grand went out for HDTV's.... not a bad investment, but the pockets are getting low, so to speak, and the wife is getting upset with the new interest in all our money going for hubbys new "toys" =P

So I really want to nail the new receiver with HDMI 7.1 able to decode 5.1 true HD sound, and no LFE issues, (a level 6 receiver?) but after reading the whole explanations of the different levels I was still at a loss for understanding... it would be better to list the actual models that are level 6 =P Thus, my need for a good recommendation. (if there is a list that I missed, sorry =P)

again, thanks in advance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.