AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DLP TV works awesome for about 60-90 min. and then the screen goes black. I still get sound and the lamp is on but no picture. I thought it was a heat/fan problem because the fan didn't seem to be working all the time, and wouldn't stay on after the set was shut off. I replaced the fan and now it (the fan) is working fine but the tv still does the same thing. When I shut the tv off it comes back on normally and works fine until it happens again. The time that it stays on varies from 5 -20 minutes approx. I can't display the menu when the picture goes and I have reset the lamp timer. The longer I leave the tv off after the picture goes out the longer it seems to stay on before the picture goes again. The screen isn't totally black, the lamp still illuminates the screen only it is black and no picture.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I had a very similar problem if not the same problem using an HDMI interface to my HL-P DLP system and the problem stopped occuring when I changed the Picture Mode from Dynamic to Standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok people, I need some more help. After changing the digital board, unfortunately the problem wasn't fixed. The next thing besides trying to return the mega dollar board id i'm going to replace the little fan down by the board. If anybody has a different or better idea let me know. Otherwise it is off to TV land to buy a new LCD. Thanks

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
That sucks. If the lamp is on but the picture is black, the only other possibility is dmd board $530.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give and update to all you fine folks that tried to help me out. After all my dicking around replacing the fans and the digital board the problem still wasn't fixed. I was able to return the digital board and then after some looking realized my tv was still under warranty from, believe it or not, Circuit City. So some phone calls and a little cussing, the repair joint came out and replaced the digital board, go figure the problem wasn't fixed. Got them to finally get some more $ from whomever and they replaced the Light engine. Which on my tv is pretty much the whole guts, color wheel, everything but the digital board. Also a very pricey fix at around $600. Well the problem is fixed and I basically have a new tv and it didn't cost me anything. The tv is 4 years old and hopefully i'll get another 4 out of it cause it is a awesome tv. Hopefully this helps people and once again thanks for the help

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am going through the same thing with my TV. I own a HL-R5067W and my TV went out just around the 4 year mark. My screen went plaid. My screen was full of 1in x 1in green squares. Half of the squares are striped and the other half are solid. I have sound, but no picture. My TV kept cycling off and on every 30 seconds. Anyway, the 2nd authorized service tech came to my house to replace the 1st set of analog and digital boards last night and he said the 1st tech put the wrong boards in my TV. I have been rescheduled for next Tuesday. Sigh! The tech said that the software that controls the memory has a glitch in the programming. The software is causing a buffer overflow in memory and the TV does not know what to do with the data stream. This glitch only affects the early digital boards, not the new replacement boards. Samsung has fixed the problem in the software for the new digital boards, so I will not have this issue again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.