AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

New to the forums and I may be outclassed here. I am only looking to spend 500 - 600 on a surround sound system since this is a wedding gift. I was at the Onkyo brand because they seem to be good quality and medium priced. I was looking at Onkyo HT-S5200 or 6200. I know the HTIB system is probably not the best way to go. Any recommendations would be great. This would be used for movies, tv and gaming. I don't listen to all that much music.

The room size at the moment is about 10 ' x 14 '.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the Onkyo S5200 or S6200 are good choices, but you have a decision to make.

IF the couple who will receive the gift have a blu-ray player and would like to use HDMI cables to interconnect everything, including audio.....then the S6200 is the system to get. If using a second audio cable like Toslink optical or digital audio coax is OK, then the S5200 will work fine.

The advantage to decoding audio over HDMI is if the new HD lossless audio codecs are available (like on a blu-ray DVD), then the S6200 will decode and play them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. The surround sound would be for me and my Fiancee. We do not currently have a Blue Ray player but that may come in the future. Currently cable and the Xbox 360 would be HDMI. As the DVD player is older it does not have the capability and the Wii does not have that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the Denon DHT 590BA can handle all that you have and the Bluray when you get it. it Comes with some decent Boston Acoustics speakers plus the powered sub. your room is a little smaller than what i have now and mine is working great. I highly recomend it. Also makes sure to lookup Batpig's guide to Denon when setting up.

Also a Harmony remote helps out a lot. go from a bunch of remotes to 1 remote and they run about $100 depending on the model.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would like to throw in another suggestion. Probably by the end of the month or early April, Onkyo will make its new HTIB models available. One that looks like it could be of great value is the HT-S5300. Its available for pre-order right now on Amazon for $499. Unlike its predecessor the ht-s5200. This one includes the hd audio codecs and is not just hdmi pass through.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

I posted about this in another thread because I am also looking to spend that much on a decent home theater setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts