AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to put a tv in the wall, but the width of the shelf is 35 1/4". I can go as far back as I want and up for that matter. I would like it to meet or exceed these requirements.

Width 35 1/4"

Fully capable of progressive dvd

3:2 Pulldown

4:3 ratio

I don't need HDTV but I still would buy one if the price is right

under or around $2500

I started looking at the sony 36xbr and toshiba 36hfx71. But the speakers on the side kill me. I will be using the tv mainly for dvd and xbox. Can I go rear projection with the xbox? But aren't tubes brighter than rear projection. I just want the best with the limitations I have (width and price).

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
36XBR is 38 1/8" wide

Panasonic Tau 36HX41 is 36 7/8" wide

Tau 32HX41 is 31 7/8" wide

Your biggest direct view HDTV tube you can fit is probably the Panasonic Tau 34XW50 which is 34 1/2" wide and 16:9 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much research I have decided with a hdtv 16:9 direct view set. Now which one. What are my options? All I have found

toshiba 34HF81

Panasonic CT34WX50

and a 38" RCA but the screen isn't flat, right (who wants that)?

What are all these filter and features, any faq on these things?

What about firewire and holding out?

I'm still in the dark on this major investment.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The Toshiba is the cheapest but I didn't like either the case style or the picture-- check it out for yourself.

The Panasonic is in the middle cost wise and has an excellent picture, IMO.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Matt, I'm in exactly the same situation as you: my cabinet is 35 1/4 inches wide, so the only flat-screen 16:9 choices looked to be the 34HF81 and 34WX50.

Currently I'm leaning toward the Toshiba, which I thought had a better picture than the Panasonic in the showroom, detail-wise (it has a finer shadow mask). But the Panny was poorly adjusted, so YMMV.

Keep in mind the Panny is a two year old design, and a replacement is expected soon (although from what I've heard it will include an HDTV tuner and so may be a bit above your price limit).

Also, the 34WX50 doesn't have 3:2 pulldown.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.