AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need some help with an HD file that is encoded with aac 5.1 audio. It is an h264 mp4. I saved it to my playstation 3, and was going to play it through my ps3. I get the video coming in through just fine, but there is no audio. Apparently, my reciever can not process aac audio. I have my ps3 connected to my receiver via optical. I was wondering how I could convert the audio to ac3 dolby digital? I have a macbook, and no windows xp or anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That worked. I was able to hear audio that way. I was wondering if there is any way to preserve the 5.1 audio? Is there away that I could convert the aac 5.1 audio to AC3 5.1 audio. Or am I stuck with the 2 channel audio?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would prefer prologic over double compressed audio unless it has a high bitrate to begin with. VLC should be able to convert audio (Media then convert/save) while preserving video.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i'm not sure VLC will go from 5.1 AAC to dolby 5.1 although it may. I'm on a mac and I don't see it as a transcoding option for an MP4 I have with AAC audio.

I've always had to use a pro tool like compressor (in final cut studio) to get a usable dolby 5.1 stream.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts