AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two alpine type s 10" subs, and I want to run them on a JL 250/1 mono amp. How do I got about doing so? I know how to set up and amp wiring kit and all that, just not sure how to wire the subs to the amp to get the best sound

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
You have two choices depending on the speaker impedance and the impedance that the amp is able to drive: Serial or parallel. If you hook the speakers in series, the load impedance that the amp sees is double that of a single speaker. If you hook the speakers in parallel, the load impedance that the amp see is half that of a single speaker. What is the speaker impedance and what load can the amp handle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18257321

You have two choices depending on the speaker impedance and the impedance that the amp is able to drive: Serial or parallel. If you hook the speakers in series, the load impedance that the amp sees is double that of a single speaker. If you hook the speakers in parallel, the load impedance that the amp see is half that of a single speaker. What is the speaker impedance and what load can the amp handle?

im not really sure to be honest..Id link you..but apparantly I have to have three posts to post links haha

if you don't mind, just google

alpine type s 10 specs

jl 250 1 specs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18257484

That's something you should be doing.

haha, i did but reading that means nothing to me sorry so i was hoping someone who can read ohm description and watt output can tell me the best way to wire up my subs :\\

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfetts /forum/post/18257704

haha, i did but reading that means nothing to me sorry so i was hoping someone who can read ohm description and watt output can tell me the best way to wire up my subs :\\

There are lots of people here that can read the specs and give you an answer. Don't expect people to spend time searching online just to get the background info needed to help you out.

You don't need to understand the specs in order to copy them or provide links to the info. To paraphrase Jerry Maguire, "Help them help you!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay well the JL amp specs are:

Class D Circuitry

250W RMS @ 1.5 ohms - 4 ohmsTHD at Rated Power: 95dB below rated power

Frequency Response: 5 - 50,000 Hz (+0, -1dB)

Damping Factor: >500 @ 4 ohm/50 Hz

Input Range: switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS

Differential-Balanced Input Topology: (1 pair of inputs)

On-board Crossover: fully-variable (40-200 Hz), selectable-slope LP (12 or 24 dB per octave)

Preamp Output: 2-channel (full-range, LP or HP)

Bass EQ: variable boost up to 15dB

Infrasonic Filter: defeatable 24dB/octave at 30 Hz

Signal-Sensing Turn-On: permits operation without remote lead

Dual mono speaker output connections: accept up to 8ga. wire

+12V and Ground connections: accept up to 4ga. Wire

Dimensions: 10.25"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H

and the alpine type s 10:

Size 10 -inch

Impedance 4 ohms

Cone Material Glass Fiber & Pulp/Kevlar

Surround Material Santoprene rubber

Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.65 - 1.5

Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 1 - 1.75

Port diameter (inches) N/A

Port length (inches) 14

Free-Air No

Dual Voice Coil Yes

Sensitivity 84 dB at 1 volt

Frequency Response 31 - 700 Hz

RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-300

Peak Power Handling (Watts) 900

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfetts /forum/post/18257855

okay well the JL amp specs are:

250W RMS @ 1.5 ohms - 4 ohms

and the alpine type s 10:

Impedance 4 ohms

You can wire the speakers in parallel or in series. To be safe, I would wire them in series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18257905

You can wire the speakers in parallel or in series. To be safe, I would wire them in series.

okay then my last question and thank you for being patient with me

what exactly does that mean?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Take the positive output from the amp to the positive of the first sub in.

Take the negative terminal of the first sub to the positive of the second.

Take the negative of the second sub to the negative speaker terminal on the amp.

Voila! a series connection.

In parallel, all negative terminals (amp and speakers)are connected and then all positive terminals are connected.(amp and speakers)

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/18258600

Take the positive output from the amp to the positive of the first sub in.

Take the negative terminal of the first sub to the positive of the second.

Take the negative of the second sub to the negative speaker terminal on the amp.

Voila! a series connection.

In parallel, all negative terminals (amp and speakers)are connected and then all positive terminals are connected.(amp and speakers)

Thanks, Giz, though to be honest, I don't think the OP should be handling a soldering iron.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfetts /forum/post/18257291

I have two alpine type s 10" subs, and I want to run them on a JL 250/1 mono amp. How do I got about doing so? I know how to set up and amp wiring kit and all that, just not sure how to wire the subs to the amp to get the best sound

Your amp is a very good amp and capable of and designed for operating into loads as low as 1.5 ohms. Definitely wire it in parallel.

If you wired it in series you would be presenting the amp with an 8 ohm load and you would not be getting maximum power from the amp.

This is how to wire it in parallel:

From the amp's + to 1st speaker + then to 2nd speaker +

From the amp's - to 1st speaker - then to 2nd speaker -

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/18260193

Your amp is a very good amp and capable of and designed for operating into loads as low as 1.5 ohms. Definitely wire it in parallel.

If you wired it in series you would be presenting the amp with an 8 ohm load and you would not be getting maximum power from the amp.

This is how to wire it in parallel:

From the amp's + to 1st speaker + then to 2nd speaker +

From the amp's - to 1st speaker - then to 2nd speaker -

Although I agree with your recommendation (as I stated in my earlier response), in order for this amp to operate effectively with a 2 ohm load it will require a robust power supply (strong battery) and large gauge wiring (from the Crutchfield catalog: 8-gauge power and ground leads and a 30-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier). Based on the questions asked in this thread, I am not sure the OP has the required knowledge to understand what this means, nor the skills to implement it. Hopefully he will read some books to gain a working knowledge of basic electrical theory (impedance, ohms, current draw, wire gauge, etc.) before attempting such an installation or that he consigns it to someone with that knowledge and skill. I would hate to see him damage the amp and spealers, or worse, his car's electrical system, through an incorrect and inadequate installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18260500

Although I agree with your recommendation (as I stated in my earlier response), in order for this amp to operate effectively with a 2 ohm load it will require a robust power supply (strong battery) and large gauge wiring (from the Crutchfield catalog: 8-gauge power and ground leads and a 30-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier). Based on the questions asked in this thread, I am not sure the OP has the required knowledge to understand what this means, nor the skills to implement it. Hopefully he will read some books to gain a working knowledge of basic electrical theory (impedance, ohms, current draw, wire gauge, etc.) before attempting such an installation or that he consigns it to someone with that knowledge and skill. I would hate to see him damage the amp and spealers, or worse, his car's electrical system, through an incorrect and inadequate installation.

haha, I was just unsure of the terms parrallel and series wiring.. and didn't understand how to achieve the best ohm load dude. I'm using 4 guage wiring for both power and ground and have a 75 amp fuse

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfetts /forum/post/18261510

haha, I was just unsure of the terms parrallel and series wiring.. and didn't understand how to achieve the best ohm load dude. I'm using 4 guage wiring for both power and ground and have a 75 amp fuse

I'm glad you are convinced you know what you are doing ... dude. Good luck with your installation.

Oh, using a 75 amp fuse when only a 30 amp is required? If anything goes wrong the amp will blow first to protect the fuse.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18260500

I would hate to see him damage the amp and spealers, or worse, his car's electrical system, through an incorrect and inadequate installation.

Well then it's a good thing he came here and asked us.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/18264911

Well then it's a good thing he came here and asked us.

I still have my doubts about the OP's level of understanding and knowledge. Oh, well. Not my problem, I guess.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18265562

I still have my doubts about the OP's level of understanding and knowledge. Oh, well. Not my problem, I guess.

I am sure he appreciated you trying to help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts