AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody..im rather new to the home theater forum and looking for some help. My current setup is Klipsch RC3 II center, and tower speakers, with out of the box onkyo surrounds (two) and the same onkyo sub. This is all run through that same onkyo 6.1 receiver. Now I want to upgrade a lil bit, been looking to pickup matching RC3 II surrounds, but I wanna get an amp. (cant afford a sub right now) And I was wondering how to figure out, or even if someone can suggest a good amp for the setup. Should I upgrade my receiver first? Or would an amp run fine with the receiver I have? Thanks in advance!

Ken

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutstandingBeard /forum/post/15435052

Hey everybody..im rather new to the home theater forum and looking for some help. My current setup is Klipsch RC3 II center, and tower speakers, with out of the box onkyo surrounds (two) and the same onkyo sub. This is all run through that same onkyo 6.1 receiver. Now I want to upgrade a lil bit, been looking to pickup matching RC3 II surrounds, but I wanna get an amp. (cant afford a sub right now) And I was wondering how to figure out, or even if someone can suggest a good amp for the setup. Should I upgrade my receiver first? Or would an amp run fine with the receiver I have? Thanks in advance!

Ken

What model Receiver? Does it have pre-outs in order to connect a separate amp? Need more info about current receiver. If's its one of those HTIB may not have pre-outs which are needed for what you want to do do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currenty have an onkyo ht r520 receiver, but was thinking of upgrading if it would make sense to make it up with a good amp..honestly dont wanna spend crazy money, nothing over 1000.

I actually dont think this receiver has pre-outs, it was an in box home theater setup that it came from.

thanks again

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Then you will need to upgrade the receiver. Also with the receiver upgrade and an amp you will problably top the $1000 mark you have set for yourself. The cheapest and best amps out there right seem to be the Emotiva XPA5 or UPA7. The receiver choices with pre-outs to keep it close to a total of what your'e looking for would be a Yamaha RX-V663 or the Pioneer 1018. There may be others that would fit the bill, but they would have to be bought used.

Someone else may come up with some other options for your budget, but right now I can't think of anything in your price range. Ever thought of just getting a good powerful receiver? There you will have more options as there are many very good receivers under the $1000 limit you've made. Yamaha,Denon,Onkyo,Marantz all make very good receivers to fit your budget.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually amost prefer buying used, always feel like you get more for your moneys worth being everything in electronics gets dated so fast..I appreciate all the help. Im gonna keep looking around and hopefully find a nice setup.

Do you thnk getting say a good denon receiver for 700 or so would be better than spending 300+400 say on an amp receiver setup?

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutstandingBeard /forum/post/15440588

I actually amost prefer buying used, always feel like you get more for your moneys worth being everything in electronics gets dated so fast..I appreciate all the help. Im gonna keep looking around and hopefully find a nice setup.

Do you thnk getting say a good denon receiver for 700 or so would be better than spending 300+400 say on an amp receiver setup?

No, I don't. Separates give a better option. Since you can't afford the "complete" separates options your best bet bet for overall sound and video quality would be to get a good receiver and a very good amp. I totaled the price for a Pioneer 1018(130WX7) with a Emotiva Amp (UPA 7) 125wX7 and came up with a delivered price of ~$1021.00. That would make for a very good choice for what you want to do. You really need to look at Emotiva's products and read all that's being sold on their website. As for the Pioneer 1018 read that thread and most of the owners are very pleased with the sound and quality of its build. I think this pairing would sound great and do all you want to do and more. Even leave some room for additional equipment down the road. Go somewhere and listen to the Pioneer or if possible bring one home and try it out. If you like the way it sounds and performs, imagine what it would really sound like with true amplification from the emotiva amp. I'm sorry I can't recommend the Denon products because I've used 3 of their different products and it was like throwing a blanket over the Paradigm Ref. 40's I use and that was being paired with a Parasound HT2250AT amp. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun looking, because no matter what you decide to go with chances are you'll be looking to upgrade in a few years. That's the nature of this expensive hobby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.