AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came into possession of a set of Boston Acoustic Lynnfield VR975 towers.

They need a little TLC but after reading old reviews, I think they may be worth resurrecting.
I checked them out and the Subwoofer amps work but I am missing one of the Subs and the one sub a do have needs the surround foam replaced which I can do. I’ve been searching for days and can’t find the sub I need. There is a sub on eBay but it’s for a VR960. Can that be used in 975. Were the Subs all the same for the 960, 965 and 975?

Has anyone replaced the subs with a different long throw square frame sub that their happy with.

I know this is a long shot but I thought I’d give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,627 Posts
I recently came into possession of a set of Boston Acoustic Lynnfield VR975 towers.

They need a little TLC but after reading old reviews, I think they may be worth resurrecting.
I checked them out and the Subwoofer amps work but I am missing one of the Subs and the one sub a do have needs the surround foam replaced which I can do. I’ve been searching for days and can’t find the sub I need. There is a sub on eBay but it’s for a VR960. Can that be used in 975. Were the Subs all the same for the 960, 965 and 975?

Has anyone replaced the subs with a different long throw square frame sub that their happy with.

I know this is a long shot but I thought I’d give it a try. Thanks.
Maybe just unplug the matching sub of the one that does not work and simply buy a separate sub.

The "subs" in your current speakers are 10" 125 watts.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Maybe just unplug the matching sub of the one that does not work and simply buy a separate sub.

The "subs" in your current speakers are 10" 125 watts.
Yeah with those Lynnfield BA towers it's the fantastic tweeter and smooth smooth mids that count. The "built in" subs have never impressed. Really, just don't worry or bother. You probably got a great deal on a really good speaker (love that era for BA...) so get a good sub and enjoy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah with those Lynnfield BA towers it's the fantastic tweeter and smooth smooth mids that count. The "built in" subs have never impressed. Really, just don't worry or bother. You probably got a great deal on a really good speaker (love that era for BA...) so get a good sub and enjoy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I am actually running 2 NHT 2.9s as my fronts in an 11.2 channel system and 2 Old DT 12” Powered subs.
I had a relative that passed Unfortunately and when the house was being cleared out I was told I could have these towers. I had to act quick and not until I got them home and pulled the sock down that I realized one towers sub was entirely missing. I took the existing sub and checked it out. It worked although I will be replacing the surround. I wanted to verify that the amps were OK. I then put it in the other tower and that amp is also OK. They generally need a little TLC but on the whole the upper front speakers sounded fine and looked good and undamaged. I was impressed on the cone movement even though the sub had some tares in its surround. The reviews I read were very impressive so I said what the hell, I’ll give them a try. Also the crossovers physically looked OK. No darkened or burned coils or capacitors. At this age (20 years) should I replace the crossovers anyway?

I was a bit confused when I read over the downloaded operations manual. It almost sounded like just hooking up the speaker level wires to the binding posts would also drive the subwoofer, Un-amplified. Does anyone no if this is correct?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I am actually running 2 NHT 2.9s as my fronts in an 11.2 channel system and 2 Old DT 12” Powered subs.
I had a relative that passed Unfortunately and when the house was being cleared out I was told I could have these towers. I had to act quick and not until I got them home and pulled the sock down that I realized one towers sub was entirely missing. I took the existing sub and checked it out. It worked although I will be replacing the surround. I wanted to verify that the amps were OK. I then put it in the other tower and that amp is also OK. They generally need a little TLC but on the whole the upper front speakers sounded fine and looked good and undamaged. I was impressed on the cone movement even though the sub had some tares in its surround. The reviews I read were very impressive so I said what the hell, I’ll give them a try. Also the crossovers physically looked OK. No darkened or burned coils or capacitors. At this age (20 years) should I replace the crossovers anyway?

I was a bit confused when I read over the downloaded operations manual. It almost sounded like just hooking up the speaker level wires to the binding posts would also drive the subwoofer, Un-amplified. Does anyone no if this is correct?
I am a little confused. Did you mean the Def Tech towers had the bad and missing sub? Or the NHT 2.9's, which have a side-firing driver, but it is not powered.

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts

Speaker level wires is all you need, but you do have to plug in the sub for it to work. You don't need a line level connection, but you do need ac power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a little confused. Did you mean the Def Tech towers had the bad and missing sub? Or the NHT 2.9's, which have a side-firing driver, but it is not powered.
Sorry about the confusion. I currently have a 11.2 channel system and my current setup uses two NHT 2.9s for my front LR speakers. If I can find a one subwoofer which is missing for the BA Lynnfield VR975 towers I plan to see if they are better than my current NHT 2.9s which are actually a very nice tower, although it’s side firing subwoofer isn’t powered. I am using a couple of Definitive Technology PF 12 Powered Subs. Pretty old subs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the info on the wiring.
I have found a sub that will work in the VR975 towers. The subs will be facing each other 15 with the towers feet apart. How far should the towers be placed from the back wall?
Also how is the best way to set the woofer up? Should I drive the subs with the sub Channel outs from my Denon receiver or just power the subs and run them with the speaker left/right outs from my receiver. I’ve been playing with them with subs powered but not driven by sub outs. The Bass gets down there but not as low as I’d like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts