AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All- I’m excited to be moving into my own apartment this summer and need some advice regarding a HT / media room setup. My budget all in is ~$10k, but due to leasing this would almost entirely be spent on the electronics (TV, projector, screen, speakers).

I’m trying to decide between two options:

1.) Having a dedicated HT with 5.1 SS in the second bedroom (although it is smaller than I like with an awkwardly placed door and closet, but a ledge perfect for placing a projector).

2.) Turning the larger living room area into a media room with surround sound (5.1 or 7.1)?, with a large TV and potentially a projector / screen. My main concern with converting the living room into a media center is that there is a fireplace which complicates placement as well as large floor-to-ceiling windows (also not wanting to place a TV above the fireplace).

If I go with option 2, I'd turn the second bedroom into a small office with my PC setup and a sleeper couch.

I’d greatly appreciate any advice reading the layout / setup! I’ve included pictures of the apartment and its floorplan. Happy to answer any questions or provide additional info as needed!

-Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would go with option 1 as it seems much easier to control the outside lightings for a projector. It is a very nice place and you probably wouldn't want black-out curtains and/or shades in the main living room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go with option 1 as it seems much easier to control the outside lightings for a projector. It is a very nice place and you probably wouldn't want black-out curtains and/or shades in the main living room.
Thanks! I agree that Option 1 has better lighting... it's the sizing of the room and its layout which makes me hesitate. I think it may be too small & I'd have to work around the closet / column.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would probably put the majority of the equipment in that nook and wire everything closer to ceiling as possible to hide the wires too. Is the closet across from the wall with the nook? If yes then it may be easier and cheaper just to get a 70 to 80 inch TV. THX recommended viewing size/distance is about 80 inch 16:9 from 9 feet away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts