AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy but I like brightness over deep blacks.
I am looking for a cheap XGA or 720P projector that is above all else, bright (and cheap). What is currently out there that would meet this criteria. It doesn't even need to have digital inputs. Component is fine. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffD /forum/post/12917300


Call me crazy but I like brightness over deep blacks.
I am looking for a cheap XGA or 720P projector that is above all else, bright (and cheap). What is currently out there that would meet this criteria. It doesn't even need to have digital inputs. Component is fine. Thanks in advance.

Epson HC 720 (~2000 lumen) $1200

Panasonic AX100, AX200 (2000+ lumen) $1200
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
EDITED TO remove any of my specific price references in this oh so restrictive little venue.


Sam's Club has sharp xr40x at better than other vendors earlier posts mention and the XR30X for much less than others earlier posted references.


the XR30X fits your description - bright, 720p but with digital inputs and a lot of features.


You should be able to find just what you describe or better just by checking Sams and Walmart and even the weekly specials at Circuit City and BestBuy will all have pjs like you have described in that range.


Now if you want to go lower then you need to be looking for open box or close outs. We bought a demo Panasonic AE-900U for a very low price - great buys can be found by he who dilligently looks for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/12919584


Sam's Club has sharp xr40x at better than other vendors earlier posts mention and the XR30X for much less than others earlier posted references.


the XR30X fits your description - bright, 720p but with digital inputs and a lot of features.


You should be able to find just what you describe or better just by checking Sams and Walmart and even the weekly specials at Circuit City and BestBuy will all have pjs like you have described in that range.

There is not a thread yet on the XR30X or 40X because it's a relatively new offering from Sharp replacing the XR10X line of projectors. People buying the 30X have been posting to this thread (link below) and reporting the high quality of image and brightness the 10X owners have enjoyed. Along with a more digitally friendly projector.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=638598


I personally haven't seen one in action but if the results are the same as the 10X this could be a great projector for those of us that desire cheep, bright and a 4:3 or XGA image. I wanted the lumens as a method of combating ambient light and the 4:3 format because a lot of my content is classics and things like IMAX shot in 4:3 along with still photo viewing etc. Lumens alone are not IMO the answer to ambient light but the lumens allow the use of a darker screen surface while still maintaining high Foot Lamberts that combo does wonders in settings where the viewer needs some lights on.


As a side note many people are discouraged by XGA because of the masking issues because so much content is now in 16:9 or wider. I have found with the darker screen surface and the decent CR of the DLP's for me self masking of the projector is good enough. Everyone has a differing opinion of this and in a high end home theater I'm sure the self masking wouldn't please. But in my man room I haven't seen the need to do any masking yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/12919584


EDITED TO remove any of my specific price references in this oh so restrictive little venue.


Sam's Club has sharp xr40x at better than other vendors earlier posts mention and the XR30X for much less than others earlier posted references.


the XR30X fits your description - bright, 720p but with digital inputs and a lot of features.


You should be able to find just what you describe or better just by checking Sams and Walmart and even the weekly specials at Circuit City and BestBuy will all have pjs like you have described in that range.


Now if you want to go lower then you need to be looking for open box or close outs. We bought a demo Panasonic AE-900U for a very low price - great buys can be found by he who dilligently looks for them.

The XR30X/XR40X is NOT 720p. 1024x768, some like to call it 576p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I do already have a grey screen which helps the contrast for the brighter pj's. The XR30X looks interesting as does the HD71. I am going to look into both a bit further.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/12926813


The XR30X/XR40X is NOT 720p. 1024x768, some like to call it 576p.

Thanks for bringing that up. I meant to in my post but forgot. I only mentioned the 30X because the op said he would consider XGA and when viewing in 16:9 mode the resolution will be 1024x576p as reconlabtech points out. That resolution falls half way between 480p and 720p for what that's worth. For many based on seating distance and screen size the difference between 576 and 720 is important. If your seating distance is in the 1.3 to 1.5 times the screen width or greater I would say you wont see a major difference. At least I can't. The other thing to remember is the lumen measurments on the XGA machines takes into account the full 4:3 frame. If you never see yourself doing 4:3 it wouldn't be logical to go that way IMO. But they are cheep and bright and throw a nice image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 /forum/post/12927055


Thanks for bringing that up. I meant to in my post but forgot. I only mentioned the 30X because the op said he would consider XGA and when viewing in 16:9 mode the resolution will be 1024x576p as reconlabtech points out. That resolution falls half way between 480p and 720p for what that's worth. For many based on seating distance and screen size the difference between 576 and 720 is important. If your seating distance is in the 1.3 to 1.5 times the screen width or greater I would say you wont see a major difference. At least I can't. The other thing to remember is the lumen measurments on the XGA machines takes into account the full 4:3 frame. If you never see yourself doing 4:3 it wouldn't be logical to go that way IMO. But they are cheep and bright and throw a nice image.


Thanks for detailing that bud.


It's nice to see that this good line of XGA PJs is continuing. Not everyone is ready for 16x9 / HD yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/12927260


Thanks for detailing that bud.


It's nice to see that this good line of XGA PJs is continuing. Not everyone is ready for 16x9 / HD yet.

I think what it is, is that the XGA darkchip 2 is out there and in production. There is a demand for them as presentation projectors so that gives them the production rate needed thus keeping the cost down. This spin off thru these retail stores and buying clubs and the fact they make a decent HT projector keeps them offering them. The lumens are a benefit for people like me.


What I hope to see (but unlikely I will) is the HD 4:3 projectors. They are out there (a few) but very pricey and not practical for me. I don't see the demand for better than XGA in the work place so that may be as good as it gets for a long while for us 4:3 viewers.


One surprising thing about the 30X compared to the 10X is the size. Brighter better CR and about 1/3 the size and weight and lower price than the 10X was a short time ago.


Widescreen is without a doubt the future but in a room that is width limited the image size of the widescreen image wont change in a CIW setup. There is always going to be black bars someplace.


But I can tell you first hand flight sim on a 120 floor to ceiling screen from 8' back is pretty impressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
The 30x is so bright it will make you say, Wow this thing is Bright!!!!



I had one for 2 weeks. Actually does a prety good job on SD and HD actually looks like plasma its so bright and colorful.


I went with hc1500 b/c bulbs usually last longer than 30x and hc1500 does a better job overall and is a real 16:9 machine. I didnt want any extra 16:9 area blacked out as the 30x does on 16:9. Not really a big deal if you throw image on wall.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top