AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a hold of two old slot-shaped horn tweeter PA cabinets today for free on CL. They are 31.5"x22.5"x5.5" (ID). My first idea was an under-the-couch subwoofer type setup using a shallow sub. This is still a possibility, but funds are tight and I want to experiment a bit. I was thinking of using multiple smaller drivers across the front (thin side) which should theoretically give me a wider soundstage with decent bass. I have no purpose of these other than to experiment. I was thinking 3 of these woofers for each:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-087

I could wire them in series to get 6 ohms. Because I'm a noob, I don't know what to do about the tweeter. PE doesn't have any cheap dome tweeters right now, so to keep it budget I would have to go cone tweeter, which I personally don't like. I will keep the crossover simple and probably just do a bandpass. How should I go about the tweeter? How can I match the levels? Can one tweeter keep up with 3 mids? Any and all help appreciated!

Jon

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would only have .5" clearance with the 10" version. Plus, the cost is there. I'm not looking for extreme extension; flat to around 60-80hz would be awesome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts