AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am trying to get a HT system together and am trying to learn what I can from searching but I think at this point I need to ask a couple questions.

What I currently have is:

Sony KDL46VL150

(Panasonic htib 5 disk DVD) component out only no hdmi

Cox HD DVR

wii

xbox (planned but not purchased)

I have the DVR connected via hdmi to TV though wall. If I got a receiver can I run just the DVD and speakers of my htib through the new receiver until I get a Blu Ray player and decent speakers? I am going to have to do this in sections and the most i can really spend for a receiver is 300. Im not fanatical about this stuff I just want a decent setup for watching movies.

What I'm looking at:

Receiver - I was thinking of getting the Sony STR-DH700/800 - I know Sony receivers are frowned upon here but I like the Bravia synch option - is that over rated?

Blu Ray - Sony BDP-S570 - again mainly for Bravia synch

I would use my existing speakers (sans powered sub) for now. Is this setup decent or is there something else I should look at?

Room is 15 x 20

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I think it depends on what your HTIB is like. If its speakers (other than the sub) are connected by ordinary speaker wire and are rated at 8 ohms, probably you could hook them to a receiver, and it would work. If your DVD player in the HTIB has an audio output like an ordinary DVD player (i.e., either digital audio or red/white RCA terminals), then you could probably hook it to a receiver.

I don't know anything specific about Panasonic HTIBs. There is a subforum here for them called "Home Theater in a Box".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts