AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am setting up a home theater for my home and need advise on the following items:

1. Are "Monster Cables" necessary or just a myth, since I only have short runs of less than 6'?

2. My receiver only has mini-jack for audio input. Is there a converter to connect optical output from my TV to my receiver to utilize the digital audio signal?

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go to monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com. Monoprice has good quality product for the $, Bluejeans is a small step-up in price but has very good quality cables (for the masses). Either will likely be as good, if not better, than Moster- of course depending on what level of Monster you're going with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Depends on what you consider substantial and how sensitive your eyes/ears are. In short, most of us on these forums would say yes. While I personally don't need audiophile-grade cables and connections, I would NEVER connect my gear with the generic or cheap-o Monster stuff. The low-end Monster, in general, is not THAT good of quality product anyway. A lot, in my mind, has to also do with your budget and equipment. If you're going with an entry-level home-theater-in-a-box you'll liekly not hear or see a dramatic difference. It is still possible, though, to get some discernable difference. If you're going with anything of higher quality than a HTIB or entry-level you should certainly invest in better cables.

My gut is that monoprice would do you extremely well. And, as a bonus, they're going to be just about as cheap as the home-improvement store stuff you can pick up locally off the shelves. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy2k /forum/post/0

Thanks UNC, but I meant that is there substantial difference in picture/sound quality if you use cheap cables instead of pricy ones?

UNC Nick answered your question, but left one thing out - don't judge a cable by the price. Monoprice is highly recommended for a reason. They have great cables at fantastic prices. I've bought 50 foot hdmi & component cables as well as numerous 6 foot hdmi & component from them. Great quality. Great prices. Great shipping times.

For longer runs, use thicker cables, but for most folk their 24 or 26 gauge hdmi cables will be fine, even at 50 feet.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC Nick /forum/post/0

Go to monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com. Monoprice has good quality product for the $, Bluejeans is a small step-up in price but has very good quality cables (for the masses). Either will likely be as good, if not better, than Moster- of course depending on what level of Monster you're going with.

I've bought cables from both and have been very satisfied. Bluejeans is my favorite. Great cables at a very good price with unbelievably fast delivery.

htomei

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience with monoprice has been excellent. Quick delivery and great product. At their prices most anyone can buy one cable for a test drive to see for themselves (they also offer no restocking fees if you choose to return items). I purchased component and HDMI cables for my system and figured if they didn't perform I would just use them on my bedroom system, but they were excellent and I was pleasantly surprised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.