AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Before y'all say anything, I did browse the forums and could not find calibration settings that I liked.

I recently purchased the 65UB9500 for my living room. I have the Samsung UN65HU9000 in my bedroom and the picture is amazing! I set the picture mode to Natural (kind of like vivid) and the picture is awesome, without me having to change any other settings. The only complaint I have is the clouding/bleeding in the corners but its minor. The new LG doesn't seem to have the clouding issue but the picture quality out of the box doesn't seem to be anywhere near the quality I expected.

I am trying to get the UB9500 to have a vivid-like natural picture and I just can't get it right with any calibration settings posted on these forums or other places like Amazon reviews. These settings look too brown and grimy. The closest I've gotten to something I like is using the Sports setting and adjusting some minor things, but I still cannot get the color right. 4k Netlix videos like Oceans or Flowers look pretty damn good with this setting, but when I go back to watching cable, the colors look slightly off.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a natural bright/vivid picture setting? Or should I get this professionally calibrated?

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Every tv is different due to component tolerance differences. What looks good on one tv doesn't always translate well to another tv. That's why borrowing someone else's settings is not recommended if you're looking for that killer picture. It's a good place to start so you can see how the various settings work together but certainly not as a final setting, in most cases. You need to either DIY or pay for a professional calibration. Also keep in mind that using someone else's settings is not calibrating your tv. All you're doing is adjusting your panel to someone else's panel. It does not take into consideration those differences I mentioned nor does it take into consideration your viewing environment, which is probably different as well. You can download the free AVS HD709 calibration disk or use a commercial one like WoW, Spears & Munsil, etc and make some very good basic adjustments to your panel and that may be all you need. If not you may need to buy a light meter and software, learn how to do it yourself, or pay for a professional calibration.

And remember, source is a big issue. Cable/sat will rarely, if ever, always look consistently as good as a blu-ray because of compression, etc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts