AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hope someone can help me, I just bought a house the phone line/jack doesnt work properly. I have att uverse in los angeles ca. The phone jack that is there does give a dsl signal but does not give a phone line signal. Att said that the nid is good. So i am thingking of running cat5e cable from the nid to the inside of the house. So my question is can i use the blue pair from the cat5e cable for the phone line and the dsl line then on the phone jack just use a dsl filter in there or should run a dedicated phone line and a dedicated dsl line, if so how would i go about doing it. would i be able to connect both the dsl line and the phone line off the same post at the nid or do i need to connect it in a different place, or does the phone company have to come and add something to the nid. I am pretty confident i can do it, i just want to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago25
Hello hope someone can help me, I just bought a house the phone line/jack doesnt work properly. I have att uverse in los angeles ca. The phone jack that is there does give a dsl signal but does not give a phone line signal.
It's possible to have DSL and no land line service. Do you WANT land line service?

Quote:
Att said that the nid is good. So i am thingking of running cat5e cable from the nid to the inside of the house. So my question is can i use the blue pair from the cat5e cable for the phone line and the dsl line then on the phone jack just use a dsl filter in there or should run a dedicated phone line and a dedicated dsl line, if so how would i go about doing it. would i be able to connect both the dsl line and the phone line off the same post at the nid or do i need to connect it in a different place, or does the phone company have to come and add something to the nid. I am pretty confident i can do it, i just want to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Negative.

ATT gives you both services (if that's what u desired) on the same pair of wires, use any pair on the CAT5 u like, doesn't matter, just punch it down so that the middle 2 pins on a RJ11 or RJ45 is used. A DSL/phone splitter then is used at this point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20875775

It's possible to have DSL and no land line service. Do you WANT land line service?

Negative.

ATT gives you both services (if that's what u desired) on the same pair of wires, use any pair on the CAT5 u like, doesn't matter, just punch it down so that the middle 2 pins on a RJ11 or RJ45 is used. A DSL/phone splitter then is used at this point.

I do want land line service because i am paying for landline service.

I saw somewhere on the internet the you can run your phone line and dsl line seperately if the phone company puts in a splitter so it doesnt interefer when the phone ring is that true or is that not possible

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago25 /forum/post/20883481

I saw somewhere on the internet the you can run your phone line and dsl line seperately if the phone company puts in a splitter so it doesnt interefer when the phone ring is that true or is that not possible

U are making up a problem which doesn't exist. Both services is delivered in 1 pair of wire, they've been doing like this since day 1.

If for aesthetic reason you don't want to hang the splitter by the jack, u can possibly hung this splitter by the customer premise junction box then run separate cables pairs into your home.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Contact your Telco vendor and inform that you have DSL but no dial tone. They will strap the line for voice and then you are good to go.

Do you have talk battery on the DSL pair? Using a line powered phone can you hear yourself and hear touchtones but just not the dial tone?

BTW, it is always a good idea to follow to industry color codes for CAT5 wiring. Telephone voice always starts on blue /white the next pair to be used in orange white, the brown/ whit and finally green/ white.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Let me rephrase...

If you are suppose to have voice service then you should get a dial tone.

If you have DSL-only service then dial tone is optional.

If the "package" you received from ATT says you have u-verse service, there maybe some extra things u need to know. I have u-verse DSL only no voice so can't help you there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think maybe we should start over...

You say you have U-verse at this house. Do you mean there is U-verse in the area and you're assuming you have it, or, you actually have had U-verse installed at your house and are paying for it?

Assuming it's the latter...

...which of the following U-verse services are you signed up for: TV, Internet, and/or U-Voice (which is just VOIP)?

Also, if you are signed up for U-verse but didn't get the U-Voice option, are you also paying for regular old normal analog POTS voice service from AT&T?

Depending on how you answer the thread can go accurately from there...

Chuck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my area has uverse and i am paying for the dsl from uverse the telephone is supposed to be analog. the weird thing is that i tried looking for the telephone box with the customer access panel and the only thing i found was a box that said bell system. like if they never upgraded anything

Thank you

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago25 /forum/post/20903552

my area has uverse and i am paying for the dsl from uverse the telephone is supposed to be analog. the weird thing is that i tried looking for the telephone box with the customer access panel and the only thing i found was a box that said bell system. like if they never upgraded anything

The "Bell" box is just a box really, nothing special to it, there it no "electronics" in that box that they need to upgrade. All the upgrades happens in the local switch station.

Uverse is digital, hence *some* people at the phone company may assume u will be getting a digital phone, so u better ask to be sure. AT&T is a P-O-S, their left hand usually doesn't know what their right hands are doing.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago25 /forum/post/20903552

Thank you

The old boxes may or may not support U-verse speeds, along with the old drop (wire from pole to your house) wire. Since you have a box on the outside of your house (I'm assuming that), I don't know if AT&T will come put in a new NID on the outside of your house. I know if you have your drop terminated inside your house, they'll put in a new NID on the outside of your house for free...and you probably wouldn't have to twist the tech's arm to run a new drop (if that wasn't already SOP for them anyways when putting in a NID).

If you're getting U-verse Internet you should just say U-verse Internet instead of DSL (even though it really is a DSL)...makes it less confusing since AT&T does offer normal POTS based DSL.

What you have is absolutely supported (we've got U-verse TV and Internet, and analog POTS voice service over the same lines), why it's not working is weird.

I do know that there are sometimes large mistakes with the U-verse. My cousins neighbor just ordered U-verse. They did the install.....at the vacant house down the street. Guy was so PO'd he just cancelled the order...

So definitely call and get a tech out there. He should be able to plug in and check your U-verse sync rate, and also make sure there's voice tone at the Bell box.

Chuck

·
Registered
201 Posts
P.S. If you go outside to your Bell box, can you attach a phone wire (might have to strip off one end to get to the wires) and plug it into a phone, see if you get dialtone right there? If you get nothing, then, sounds like a tech needs to come out...

Chuck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well here is an update, the dial tone was about four houses down, they had to fix that. then they installed a new nid and ran a phone jack inside for free, since i was out of a phone line for a month. when i ordered att uverse they messed up by sending the internet first then the dial tone. so they had to run them on two different lines. he installed a dual port jack. so everything worked out great. the tech told me that att uses cat3 cable on the telephone poles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.