Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the stuff:

I am building a new rig and I am going to keep my video card and sound. This is my new setup:

Pentium 4 2.53, 1GB 400DDR, 120GB SATA drive, D-vine case, Phillips 4x DVD+RW drive, ATI 8500DV and SB Audigy Platinum EX. The bug problem now is which Tv to purchase on a budget. I want to use the HDTV as my single monitor for everything. I have a gamecube rigged to my VCR, which is hooked into the ATI card. I have a budget of about 1,500.00 dollars and I am tempted by Monivision or Net TV monitors, but I just wonder if its worth it to go after a Samsung 32" Direct view or Rear projection 42"...

I really need some help and would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

I will not be watching HDTV signals any time soon, but I would like to have the ability.

Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What you want is a front projector. You don't know it yet if you hang out around these parts long you will, I guarantee it! They match up with a HTPC like a glove. Now that we're past that phase you need a screen. Go ahead and paint a section of your wall white (flat or eggshell white not gloss) and border it with black velour. Most projectors have many connections like svideo and composite but the glory lies in the good old RGBHV (standard monitor plug), it's where the best quality is. With your budget you can swing an XGA projector (1000 lumens apx.) and end up with a 60-90" image. Enjoy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is interesting, but the Monivision 32 to 38" isn't a good idea? I use this Pc for everything and projectors need bulb replacements don't they.

I read a couple of guys suggest the Monivision monitor screens. It seems like a good way to go, but I have to rely on others opinions because I want this to be good and not waste my money.

Thanks again

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you intend on leaving it on continuously for low quality cable or what not a projector might not be the right choice, but if you watch a lot of DVD's (long live netflix.com) or have a HD card in the HTPC it is the best by a long shot. As far as bulb cost per life is concerned they range quite a bit with the D-ILA's being the worst as far as cost and hours but the quality is the best (most film like), many are very cost effective all things considered.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I was also thinking of getting a projector... I'd be playing HDTV and DVDs mainly. How dark does the room have to be? I'd like I be able to work on another computer and have the TV/Movie going in the background..

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.