AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a thought (yes, yes, I know this does not happen to often but....). I want to create a web page on my home network that I can broadcast streaming video from my DSS receiver in the basement. I have a copy of Windows 2000 advanced server and have an idea that with that I can run media services and capture low res video that I can imbed into a web page on the same server running IIs. Now here is the trick part, I want to be able to control the dss box via the serial connection between PC and DSS box with icons or buttons on the web page. Now I am not a programmer and I am just looking to get info on how to figure this out. eventually I would like this result:

1. Open web page and have a windows media imbed window that displays what is on the sat box in the basement with audio.

2. Have a virtual remote control on the same web page that will allow me to change channels.

Is this possible? Do I need to be a programming genius to pull this off? Should I just forget this crazy notion? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can someone recommend the following:

Video capture cards to get the video into the "server"

What software is readily available that will take the capture

and stream it? Any links info would be helpful.

(In my situation I need to capture from the RCA video out

or S-Video from a Direct TV Tivo unit)

Thanks,

-Basi

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yes, the changing of the channels is the hard part. You can use realvideo to stream any video capture device to the web, but you will need to write your own software to do the channel changing. I actually did this a few years ago, but not for dss...it was just using a regular WinTV card and cable TV. It should be just as easy with DSS using the video out port. And if you can find out the RS-232 protocol for changing channels, the program should be very easy if you have any programming ability.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Two approaches I can think of...

I have seen SW that allowed you to control a Brooktree tuner over a network for this purpose... How you go about capturing the video and transmitting is then down to you at the server end...

The other would be Girder control of an IR out device that could be TCP/IP controlled and therefore used to change the channel on the DSS box external to the HTPC piped into a capture card...

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
A standalone TiVo can control a DSS receiver.

If you look around you can find an ethernet

interface for a TiVo and with some work you

can spool shows from one TiVo box to another

in a different room.

It would take some research and work, but

it is a nice solution.

Also, if you had big money to spend you

could buy some Replay 4000 boxes which

might do what you want right out of

the box (but they might get taken off the

market because they make it _too_ easy

to share programs between boxes).