Center: 1 x C-C10 LINK

Surround: 2 x C-100 LINK

Tower: 2 x C-500 LINK

Klipsch

Subwoofer: 1 x Synergy sub-12 LINK

Center: 1 x Synergy C2 LINK

Surround: 2 x Synergy S1 LINK

Tower: 2 x Synergy Tower F2 LINK

Not sure if we're allowed to list prices, but both come to similar prices.

I will be using my setup with the Yamaha HTR-6190B (RX-V1800) receiver.

Feel free to make some suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Energy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know it's been said many, many times on this forum, you need to listen for yourself. And in this case, definitely! These are 2 completely different sounding speaker companies. For me personally, I can bear to listen to Klipsch speakers for about 4 minutes before my ears start to ache. So, between the 2, I would have to pick the Energy's. However, you may prefer the Klipsch's strong detailed sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Didn't realize Klipsch was that bad. Always figured they were a really top notch brand. Good thing I asked. I guess i'll go Energy. However, I am able to get the 12" Klipsch sub for half price right now so I may just mix that with the rest of the Energy speakers. Do you think that will be ok?

I'll post my thoughts on this when i've setup everything and had a chance to listen to it just in case someone else wants to try the setup.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I never said Klipsch was bad. I said they don't work for me. Klipsch makes very good products that are "top notch". What I said was that their sound isn't for everyone and that you need to listen for yourself, you may really like them. If you're serious about these 2 brands, take your favorite CD's, some your are very familiar with, and go listen to these speakers. Listen to see if the guitars sound natural or if the singer's voices sound good to you.

The problem I have with Klipsch is that the higher frequencies (symbols, violins, women's voices, clarinets, some guitar parts) sound very harsh, like someone turned the treble way up, and hurt my ears. Some people really prefer this sound and like these speakers alot.

While Energy speakers are more pleasing to my hearing, the ones I listened to, sounded almost the exact opposite to the Klipsch. They didn't hurt my ears but, they were lacking in detail - almost like there was a blanket drapped over them. They were very easy to listen to and I really considered them until I listened to a brand called Bowers & Wilkens (B&W). When I heard these speakers, for my ears, they had a very detailed sound like the Klipsch but didn't hurt my ears. Plus they had a very nice sound like the Energy's but like someone pulled the blanket off the cabinet.

That's why you really owe it to yourself to go listen to these speakers and see which feels more comfortable to your ears. Who knows, after hearing these you my find there is just something missing from both and then hear some Polks, or Def Techs, or Paradigms, or whatever and find yourself going, "Whoa, those sound great!".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEarz /forum/post/15446487

I never said Klipsch was bad. I said they don't work for me. Klipsch makes very good products that are "top notch". What I said was that their sound isn't for everyone and that you need to listen for yourself, you may really like them. If you're serious about these 2 brands, take your favorite CD's, some your are very familiar with, and go listen to these speakers. Listen to see if the guitars sound natural or if the singer's voices sound good to you.

The problem I have with Klipsch is that the higher frequencies (symbols, violins, women's voices, clarinets, some guitar parts) sound very harsh, like someone turned the treble way up, and hurt my ears. Some people really prefer this sound and like these speakers alot.

While Energy speakers are more pleasing to my hearing, the ones I listened to, sounded almost the exact opposite to the Klipsch. They didn't hurt my ears but, they were lacking in detail - almost like there was a blanket drapped over them. They were very easy to listen to and I really considered them until I listened to a brand called Bowers & Wilkens (B&W). When I heard these speakers, for my ears, they had a very detailed sound like the Klipsch but didn't hurt my ears. Plus they had a very nice sound like the Energy's but like someone pulled the blanket off the cabinet.

That's why you really owe it to yourself to go listen to these speakers and see which feels more comfortable to your ears. Who knows, after hearing these you my find there is just something missing from both and then hear some Polks, or Def Techs, or Paradigms, or whatever and find yourself going, "Whoa, those sound great!".

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That's true. I will have to go take a listen. The problem is that alot of the stores close to me don't have everything setup to receivers or they only have 2 brands setup in the home theatre room (usually high end stuff). I will see what I can do.

I guess alot of other factors come into play too like room layout, size, speaker placement, receiver, etc. Maybe i'll bring one set home, try it out and if I don't like it then i'll try out another one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You may not have to bring the entire set home, that may prove to be a PIA. If you can, just take the main speakers home and try them to see how the feel to your ears. Just be sure that you can return them. And once you find the speakers you like, then complete the set. The beauty of working with some speciality shops is that they will work with you and give you a package discount if you end up buying all of your speakers from them.

Another option to consider is listen, locally, to whatever you can and then, once you find what sounds best to you, ask for recommendations for similar Internet Direct (ID) brand speakers to listen to. A lot of ID companies offer 30 day money back in home tests. Some even pay for shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.