AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after breaking my 3803 out of the box tonight and immediately hooking it up for a "component video switching" test, I noticed that when I hooked up the audio from the 2 sources I was switching, I didn't get any output via the pre-outs. I don't have speakers hooked up and am currently just sending the audio signal from the pre-outs to the TV audio in for Video 5 on the TV.

I have the DVD video input set to "component" and that's working fine. I have the DVD's L/R audio output hooked up to the DVD L/R audio in. Same thing with the other source (the HTPC).

Any thoughts why no signal may be making it out of the pre-outs? FYI, just for fun, I hooked up the audio out up to the VCR-1 and VCR-2 audio outs and got sound out of those. So, the audio signal is, in fact, making it to the receiver.

I'm sure this is something simple that I'm overlooking.

Jamie

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I had the TV on and the volume was up on the TV about 25%. I just unplugged the pre-out to the TV and hooked it up to the VCR-1 audio out and that's when I heard the audio coming out of the TV from the source.

Quote:
Originally posted by ClarkeBar
Do you have the TV's internal speakers on? I would assume so since you say you got sound through the VCR.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Jamie: Rather than trying to diagnose why your 3803 won't work with this "odd" setup, my advice is to go ahead and hook it up the way it will be permanently and go thru the entire setup menu. My guess is that the inputs aren't configured for the way you were trying to hook it up. (BTW, I'm using my 3803 as a Pre/pro and it works great!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think I've done that, actually. I've got my DVD player going through the "DVD" source (which is VIDEO-1 Component), and then my HTPC in "V. Aux" (which is VIDEO-2 Component).

Then, I've got the L/R audio for the "DVD" source connected to the "DVD" audio L/R inputs

I've got the L/R audio for the "V. Aux" source connected to the "V. Aux" audio L/R inputs

In the "Video Inputs", these are both set to "Component" and they are set to "VIDEO-1" and "VIDEO-2" in the Component setup.

The audio output was connected to the "Front" L/R to the TV's L/R input.

Maybe that'll help explain it better. I guess I need to tinker a little more.

Quote:
Originally posted by HAN
Jamie: Rather than trying to diagnose why your 3803 won't work with this "odd" setup, my advice is to go ahead and hook it up the way it will be permanently and go thru the entire setup menu. My guess is that the inputs aren't configured for the way you were trying to hook it up. (BTW, I'm using my 3803 as a Pre/pro and it works great!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what you are doing, you should have the TV hooked to the VCR-1 or -2 outputs.

The purpose of the preamp outputs is to connect to an external amplifier to supplement or bypass the internal power amps. The signal in effect comes off after the volume control instead of before it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Quote:
The audio output was connected to the "Front" L/R to the TV's L/R input.
Are you sure you are connect throught the "Front" L/R of the preout OR you are connecting the "FRONT L/R of the EXTERNAL IN"?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is going from the pre-outs vs the ext-in -- good thought though!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chan
Are you sure you are connect throught the "Front" L/R of the preout OR you are connecting the "FRONT L/R of the EXTERNAL IN"?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the difference in the way the VCR-1/2 and the PRE-OUTs work?

I thought that for pretty much any L/R audio input on the back of the TV would be taking a non-amplified signal as the norm, and I figured that connecting the PRE-OUTs to that would be the same as feeding it straight from a source.

I was just assuming that the TV would be acting as the "external amplifier" in this case. No?

Quote:
Originally posted by Daventry
For what you are doing, you should have the TV hooked to the VCR-1 or -2 outputs.

The purpose of the preamp outputs is to connect to an external amplifier to supplement or bypass the internal power amps. The signal in effect comes off after the volume control instead of before it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pre outs are volume control related and the level goes up and down with the knob or remote to an attached power amp. The vcr and tape outs are fixed in level. If your volume control is turned way low, the output to another device will be greatly reduced.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
iraweiss is correct. A TV is likely expecting the line in voltage to be in the neighborhood of 2.0 volts. As many amps are driven to full output with just 1-1.5V, the output from the preamp jacks will typically be well under 0.5V and controlled via the receiver's volume control.

Tape outputs, like the VCR1 & VCR2, provide typical 2V'ish line level signals.

Tom B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.