AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My question pertains more on the wiring of the house, so I'll give a present/future scenario in hopes of getting some solid help.

I have a two-storey house with four bedrooms on the second floor. We also have a family room downstairs. Currently, I have a DPP44 with one cable to the family room (FR), and one cable to the masters bedroom (MB). I currently have only one HDTV, and I am using component cables (no HDMI on my TV).

Present Setup:

Dish 622 in FR

Dish 508 in MB.

I am trying to achive, in the short term, the following goal:

Replace both receivers with 722.

Both 722 will provide HD signal to Family Room.

Both 722 will provide distribution to the 4 bedrooms

Both 722 will be in dual mode, so I will have 4 channels in the distro.

I'm trying to prepare for the more distant future:

One 722 will provide HDMI to family room TV

One 722 will provide HDMI to masters bedroom TV

Both 722 will provide distribution to the remaining 3 bedrooms

Now that you see my goals, hopefully you can help me with my wiring. As it is, the three rooms do not have any cabling. I've come up with three scenarios.

Scenario #1 (both 722s are in the Family Room)

a) In the family room, I will need to add 1 incoming coax from the DPP44 to the 2nd 722

b) In the family room, I will need to add 2 outgoing coax from both 722 to the distribution box

c) In the Master's Bedroom, I will need to add 1 incoming coax from the distribution box

d) In the remaining 3 bedrooms, I will need to add 1 incoming coax each from the distribution box.

Scenario #2 (both 722s are in the Master's bedroom)

a) In the family room, I will need to add 2 incoming component AV and/or optical cable from both 722

b) In the Master's Bedroom, I will need to add 1 incoming coax from the DPP44

c) In the Master's Bedroom, I will need to add 2 outgoing coax from both 722 to the distribution box

d) In the remaining 3 bedrooms, I will need to add 1 incoming coax each from the distribution box.

Scenario #3 (722 in FR, another in MB)

a) In the family room, I will need to add 1 outgoing coax to the distribution box

b) In the Master's Bedroom, I will need to add 1 outgoing coax to the distribution box

c) In the remaining 3 bedrooms, I will need to add 1 incoming coax each from the distribution box.

What would be the best scenario? I guess I can't determine yet where to put the HDMI for future use until I pick the best scenario. Would you have done something totally different? I like the idea that the units are all in one location, but that also seem to have the more complicated wiring scheme.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have a similar setup in our house. We have one 622 HD DVR and one regular DVR...both in the Family Room. And we have two TVs upstairs in different rooms. We have one TV in the master BR and one in the Den (which is upstairs).

Now for the wiring....I would chose scenario #1. But it might depend on several things. If/when you do get an HD TV with HDMI, where is it going to be located? Put your 722 in the same room as your potential future HDTV. We have one HDTV in our Family Room and have HDMI runnig to it from our 622...but we just recently purchased a second HDTV for the Master BR and I'm having a horrible time attempting to run 50' of HDMI cable to it from our 622 in the Family Room. We love the two tuner aspect of each of our DVRs, but the cabling is a mess.

Our current setup has both TV1 outputs from each DVR going to our Family Room HDTV. The TV2 outputs from each DVR are split between our Master BR TV and our Den TV. So one person can be watching a program in the Master BR and someone else can be watching a different program in the den. The only drawback is that both people can't be watching different programs that are recorded on the same DVR...a small price to pay. My current hurdle is running TV1 output from my 622 to my new HDTV in the Master BR. I've split the HDMI signal and run 50' of boosted HDMI cable to the BR....but I still get no picture.

One other idea is wireless HDMI . It's pretty pricey, but it would take cabling out of the equation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we get the HDMI ready TV, it will more likely be going to the FR and whatever is on the FR will go upstairs to the bedroom. In this case, I guess Scenario #1 does make sense. I just thought that since I'm going to be crawling and snaking wires anyway, might as well do everything in one shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga6 /forum/post/14272321

We have a similar setup in our house. We have one 622 HD DVR and one regular DVR...both in the Family Room. And we have two TVs upstairs in different rooms. We have one TV in the master BR and one in the Den (which is upstairs).

Now for the wiring....I would chose scenario #1. But it might depend on several things. If/when you do get an HD TV with HDMI, where is it going to be located? Put your 722 in the same room as your potential future HDTV. We have one HDTV in our Family Room and have HDMI runnig to it from our 622...but we just recently purchased a second HDTV for the Master BR and I'm having a horrible time attempting to run 50' of HDMI cable to it from our 622 in the Family Room. We love the two tuner aspect of each of our DVRs, but the cabling is a mess.

Our current setup has both TV1 outputs from each DVR going to our Family Room HDTV. The TV2 outputs from each DVR are split between our Master BR TV and our Den TV. So one person can be watching a program in the Master BR and someone else can be watching a different program in the den. The only drawback is that both people can't be watching different programs that are recorded on the same DVR...a small price to pay. My current hurdle is running TV1 output from my 622 to my new HDTV in the Master BR. I've split the HDMI signal and run 50' of boosted HDMI cable to the BR....but I still get no picture.

One other idea is wireless HDMI . It's pretty pricey, but it would take cabling out of the equation.

Good luck!

I ended up running component to the MBR HDTV. Eliminates splitting the HDMI. I have a much shorter run though. Works great for now until I get a receiver with dual HDMI out. I wish that dish would out put TV2 as HD though. That would help alot!

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot /forum/post/14383642

I ended up running component to the MBR HDTV. Eliminates splitting the HDMI. I have a much shorter run though. Works great for now until I get a receiver with dual HDMI out. I wish that dish would out put TV2 as HD though. That would help alot!

I did something very similar a couple days ago. Since I already ran the 50' HDMI cable (which took 2 days to run in my ancient house), I have the HDMI output of my HD DVR going to the bedroom HD TV. And i hooked up Component cables to take the TV1 signal to our main family room HD TV. Not the optimal scenario, but a workaround nonetheless.

I agree, if TV2 were HD, we'd be set!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts