AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Yamaha HTR-5940 Receiver, an LG DLP TV, and a standard def Pioneer DVD player. I am just wondering the best way to hook up my dvd player? RIght now I have a single wire for video going from dvd player to receiver for the video, and an optical from dvd player to receiver for sound... What do I hook up to my television? Whats the best way to hook everything up, and with what type of cables? I am totally confused, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan /forum/post/12893281

Hi, I have a Yamaha HTR-5940 Receiver, an LG DLP TV, and a standard def Pioneer DVD player. I am just wondering the best way to hook up my dvd player? RIght now I have a single wire for video going from dvd player to receiver for the video, and an optical from dvd player to receiver for sound... What do I hook up to my television? Whats the best way to hook everything up, and with what type of cables? I am totally confused, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

What are the available video connections on your player, receiver, and display? Can you be more specific than "a single wire"? Composite, s-video, dvi, hdmi?

-Bill

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan /forum/post/12893281

thanks

If you do not have HDMI (optimal) see if you have a 3-RCA Component (R,G,B). If so, use that for your video. If not, then s-video is your third choice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it is a composite wire for the video, its just a single plug, from the dvd player to the receiver (its not a HDMI wire). ON the dvd player its isolated and had the title "Video out". From the receiver I am just using a crappy black wire that connect to the "Video Input 1" on the back of my tv. I have no HDMI on the dvd player or receiver, only component and composite. Would it be best to run component from the DVD player to the receiver, and then another set of component from the receiver to the television? Would that provide the best picture?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan /forum/post/12895243

I believe it is a composite wire for the video, its just a single plug, from the dvd player to the receiver (its not a HDMI wire). ON the dvd player its isolated and had the title "Video out". From the receiver I am just using a crappy black wire that connect to the "Video Input 1" on the back of my tv. I have no HDMI on the dvd player or receiver, only component and composite. Would it be best to run component from the DVD player to the receiver, and then another set of component from the receiver to the television? Would that provide the best picture?

Component is better than composite.

Is there any reason not to run component directly from the player to the display? You could try it through the receiver, see which you like the best. There is no reason one would be better than the other, although my instinct is simpler is better: direct connection.

-Bill

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah your right, it makes more sense just to go from the dvd player straight to the tv, cut out the middle man. Thanks for the suggestion, ill make the change to component and see what happens.

THanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts