Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have what I believe to be a ground noise line running vertically down the right side of my screen (about 1/8th of the way from the right edge). The pj seems to have standard grounding straps on each tube cover, and I have unplugged all of my other gear from the pj (and from the wall) to make sure the problem is not in a loop from other gear. Can anyone give me any ideas on what I can do about this? It really ruins dark scenes (impossibly distracting).

A bit more info...I am also having some hum issues with my audio system...removing everything (including signal cables) but the plugged in Cinepro amp and the speakers I still have audible hum.

Any chance these are related problems and the trouble is with the house's electricity? Has anyone seen this kind of problem before?

Thanks for the help!

Charles

·
Registered
525 Posts
Bad wiring can cause this for sure. The first thing you want to check is the electrical connections in your panel, make sure all are tight. Also, make sure you (or a qualified electrician) check the meter can socket connections and the ground wire connections to the ground rod and water line (typically outside).

If you have a current probe, check all of the ground wires for current flow (in the panel and outside). There should not be any (you may see .125 amps but that is the max). If there is current flowing on your ground wires, that means you have neutral-to-ground bonds in your electrical wiring which is bad for electronics (not to mention a potential shock hazard). Have an electrician trace the circuits to repair the bonds (if any are found).

Also, think back about any work that you might have had done or new products you have bought. I have seen defective power strips/surge protectors and mis-wired electrical items added later that mess things up too...

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice...I'll probably need to get some help from an electrician to execute.

I just realized that there is an old dimmer running on the same AC circuit...any chance that might be contributing to the problem?

Charles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.