AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what program to use to fine tune the color on my Sharp RPTV. I have the codes to get into the service menu and the guy that installed it did not seem to know what he was doing. Or should I bite the bullet and pay for a ISF (note: what does IFS stand for)tech. to do it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi, if YOU know what you're doing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif you can buy the Avia test DVD or the Video Essentials test DVD and follow the directions for using the test patterns on the disc.

You may find information at www.keohi.com/keohihdtv helpful.

If you're not absolutely certain of what a control function in the service menu does, don't touch it. Before you start, write down the values for every single item in the menu so you can restore original values if necessary.

Of course, if you're not comfortable with this I'd recommend getting a qualified TV technician (ISF-Certified or not) to do it for you.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
998 Posts
ISF is the Imaging Science Foundation. They school tech in the tests and procedures to set up a 'proper' picture. If you have a DVD player, invest in the AVIA or Video Essentials discs to get a set of test screens and advise on using them. I'd recommend that you try setting up using the user menus and the test discs, rather than going into the service menus. One of the things gained in the service menus is centering the user controls so that when they are centered you have the 'proper' picture.

The ISF session will set you back between $300 and $600 and the primary operation the ISF tech can do that you can't is setting the grey scale with instruments. If whites are white versus blue or red, don't sweat this.

That's my advise after a year and an ISF session that didn't blow my socks off.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

That's pretty much it. The ISF part is the grayscale calibration and determining the optimal user settings. That's about it. The SRP for such a task is $250 for RPTV's.

The higher cost figures you see are for extended calibration services that go well beyond what the ISF teaches.

It's best to think of ISF services as an Oil Change.

The extended package is best described as your "Major Tune Up."

As with most things in life, you can do most of it yourself and save the $$ or you can get a pro to come in and do it.

As Joel Silver put it himself, the ISF seminar provides its attendees with a good foundation of information. Where that person goes from there is entirely up to them.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.