AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Totally new to this forum.

I am designing a recording studio and have many of the same needs as those designing a home theater. My question pertains to floating ceilings. I am going to build a room-within-a-room design. My question is -- when building a floating ceiling, should my floating joists only be connected to the walls of the interior room? If so, won't I need to stabilize the interior walls in some fashion in order to prevent the whole frame from toppling over?

I am building this studio in a warehouse space (with 20' high ceilings), and I am supposing that I can accomplish the desired soundproofing by just building a regular ceiling (about 9' high) that is only connected to the walls in the recording space.

Also, when building double walls, should I connect the two sides of the wall in any way?

Many more questions, I just don't want to overwhelm in my first post. Any help would be much appreciated, I want to complete the construction within a month.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, that's exactly where I got the idea from. What I don't quite understand though, is exactly where those ceiling joists are connected. It seems to me that they are only connected to the walls, but it would then seem that the design would be inherently unstable (may topple over).

Shouldn't those walls be stabilized in some way?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,116 Posts
Imagine framing a house on a concrete pad, with a flat roof. Now just do it inside a building not touching the other walls. It is not going to topple over once it is all connected and skinned with a double layer of drywall. You could attach some diagonal bracing to the back of the walls before you tip them up if you really are concerned about them racking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.