AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have my 5.1 system (well the speakers anyways, receiver to be purchased shortly) and now I'm going to have to rearange my room. As I see it, I have 3 options, and I'll post a pic for each one below. The drawings are pretty close to scale, and the speaker positions are quite close but maybe not perfect. The SW is put where it fits right now; I'm not sure where it would actually go in the end.

One major issue is that the room is really just an alcove with 3 walls. Because of this, my impression is that it would be preferable for accostics to make the openning to the rear of the room instead of to the side. For this reason, both options that do not involve raised seating are presented in that manner. I'm open to suggestions here though - how much of a nightmare would it be accoustically for option 3?

Option 1 below: Prime seating location is sitting up on a couch parrellel to the TV. The 2nd seat is not great as it's angled (would most likely be laying on the couch), but 3rd seat beside #1 on the main couch is decent.

I actually would much prefer to have the ability to lay on my couch on my back, at the prime location, so this prompted option #2.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Option #2 affords me the abilty to lay in the prime seating location, but then for multichannel listening (which happens pretty rarely) it becomes a problem to sit right up because the couch is at an angle to the world. The 2nd seating position is again not great, but I think about as good as it gets with people on 2 separate couches.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And finally option #3 entails stadium seating with the back couch raised 18". We actually had it up there on chairs
and it certainly felt pretty cool. It definately gave a great "home theatre" feel. I'd have to build a stage but that's not very hard.

There's no question that this gives the best accoustic and viewing experience to the most people, because really all 6 have decent seats, with the centers of both couches being very good for both vision and accoustics.

The main issue with this setup is again at the prime seat I'm stuck sitting up and pretty close to the TV. Also, I know there'd be trouble with people putting their feet on the back of the front couch - probably would be annoying.

My main question is how much worse for accoustics would it be to have the openning on the side? And finally, moving to 7.1 in the future I could put the speakers in-wall behind both couches. Is 18" enough between the wall and the rear couch?

I'd really appreciate any input that you all have. Thanks a bunch everyone.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I have no doubt about what I would do: keep the TV against the wall as shown in Opt. 1 and 2, and set up the seating as shown in Opt. 3, except, of course, facing the TV.

One foot of riser height should be enough, and you could make the riser large enough for it to have a coffee table of its own, which would run interference for errant feet.

I believe in both accoustic and seating symmetry. But that's me; YMMV.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input Larry. The reason I ruled that out is because 1) where would I put the rears when I go to 7.1? And 2) it rules out any possibility of putting a pool table in that larger area behind because it would protrude too far into the room.

It is an option though; all about tradeoffs. And I guess I would have similar issues with the rears in either option 1 and 2 also.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Oh, the hell with the pool table; use the larger section for the HT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.