AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already visited the antennae "help" sites. One selects an antennae that isn't available in my area and is a combination UHF/VHF, when my stations are all broadcasted in UHF. The other, list a range of station locations (124 degrees to 140 degrees).

Here's my specifics. I'm less than 30 miles from my stations. They range from 124 degrees to 140 degrees. CBS (which is the only station giving me problems) is at 140 degrees. I'm mounting the antennae outside, on top of a 2 story house.

I currently am using a CM3023 (yagi style) mounted outside. I also have a CM3021 (4 bow ties) sitting in my garage (uninstalled). I am open to purchasing a different type of antennae, as long as it will work and is available on-line.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
The graphs in this paper imply that your 4 bay should be a better choice than the yagi.

http://www.anarc.org/wtfda/hoverman.pdf

I managed to buy an 8 bay version of the hoverman design mentioend in this paper for $15 (an Antennacraft SuperG 1483) and the performance has been fantastic (even though its pointed at 180 degrees instead of 145). Unfortunately it seems to be out of production now. :(

If your 4 bay doesn't work, you might try a 8 bay bowtie.

Or a DIY hoverman would actually be very easy and fairly cheap to build.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mac the Knife:

I want to change my question...4 of my stations are within 12 miles of my house. The remaining station is 70 miles. If I forgo the 70 mile station, do you think the 4 bow tie is sufficient, or should I still buy the 8 bow?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
655 Posts
The 4 bay will not get the 70 mile stations.

The 8 bay wilol like the Channel Master 4228. You will need to rotatio as the 16 degrees are too much for it!

You may need a pre-amp CM7775.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solidsignal:

I'm willing to forgo the 70 mile station. Still, my towers are at 124 and 140 degrees. Do I still need the 8 bow? If I need a rotator, how do I power it?

Would I need to run another line up to the antennae (for the rotator)?

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.