AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just entering the home audio scene and I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V683 and two Pioneer SP-FS52 towers. I ran the YPAO and the system works fine for tv and movies but listening to music does not get loud enough for my tastes. It gets loud enough for my wife but I like my music EXTREMELY loud. I downloaded a db meter app and I know it probably isn't accurate but it only read like 80 db before distortion occurred and then the receiver actually shut itself down.

Questions: what do I need to replace and or add to my system to get it much much louder without distortion? do I need a separate amp to power towers? better receiver? better towers? both?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You will need much more efficient speakers at least.

And also take care of your hearing. You will regret the very loud music in a few years if you are not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will need much more efficient speakers at least.

And also take care of your hearing. You will regret the very loud music in a few years if you are not.

I just found out that my receiver doesn't have any preamps so should I get one with those? do you think just getting more efficient speakers will make it louder? it seems like the receiver just wasn't pushing enough power which caused the clipping and eventual shutoff of the unit.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just found out that my receiver doesn't have any preamps so should I get one with those? do you think just getting more efficient speakers will make it louder? it seems like the receiver just wasn't pushing enough power which caused the clipping and eventual shutoff of the unit.
your receiver is a "tuner, pre-amp, amplifier" all in one. When you plug a source (i.e. CD player) into your receiver, you are essentially plugging it into the "pre-amp" portion of your AVR.
more efficient speakers will allow your AVR to play music louder than your current inefficient speakers.

How far away from your speakers do you sit? If you want louder with your current speakers, move closer to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your receiver is a "tuner, pre-amp, amplifier" all in one. When you plug a source (i.e. CD player) into your receiver, you are essentially plugging it into the "pre-amp" portion of your AVR.
more efficient speakers will allow your AVR to play music louder than your current inefficient speakers.

How far away from your speakers do you sit? If you want louder with your current speakers, move closer to them.
currently about 9 feet away for movies and tv. its when I want to listen to music from the connected kitchen it just isn't loud enough. are there any towers you can recommend for roughly $500 a pair that will get much louder than my current? and if not then should I be looking into a receiver that has preamps? thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
A pre amp is basically just a volume control and input selector. A power amp will be able to increase the volume if powerful enough but that would kill your speakers. Klipsch is usually considered a good brand for more efficient and therefore louder speakers. There are other brands also.
The efficiency of the speakers matter a lot, you need a much more powerful amplifier (double the power) to get 87dB speakers to play as loud as 90dB ones and thats if the measurements are done the same way.

I dont remember exactly but think the pioneer speakers were something like 87dB 6ohm which is very inefficient indeed. They are physically incapable of playing really loud. (Without damage)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
yes I know I will need one of those for sure, right now im just trying to dial in getting it loud without distortion.

What do you mean by loud though, is it loud voice, loud upper range tweeter sound or pounding bass? Or a well balanced louder volume?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by loud though, is it loud voice, loud upper range tweeter sound or pounding bass? Or a well balanced louder volume?

a well balanced louder volume is what im after, but maybe minus the bass because I plan on get one or two subwoofers. so do you think I should keep the receiver and just get better, more efficient towers?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
a well balanced louder volume is what im after, but maybe minus the bass because I plan on get one or two subwoofers. so do you think I should keep the receiver and just get better, more efficient towers?

The Yamaha is a nice AVR and when you get a sub or two it wont have to work quite as hard anymore. More efficient speakers would help a lot but with one or two subs you might save some money or get better quality per $ with bookshelf type speakers. Towers pluss subs are usually better but towers are a lot more expensive so its worth considering some (not tiny) bookshelves as you can often go up to the next quality model range for close to or the same amount of money. Or for more instant fun spend a bit more now on towers from klipsch or similar efficient speakers and then save up for a sub or possibly 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Yamaha is a nice AVR and when you get a sub or two it wont have to work quite as hard anymore. More efficient speakers would help a lot but with one or two subs you might save some money or get better quality per $ with bookshelf type speakers. Towers pluss subs are usually better but towers are a lot more expensive so its worth considering some (not tiny) bookshelves as you can often go up to the next quality model range for close to or the same amount of money. Or for more instant fun spend a bit more now on towers from klipsch or similar efficient speakers and then save up for a sub or possibly 2.

what do you think of the Polk Signature Series S55?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
what do you think of the Polk Signature Series S55?

That someone else can hopefully answer much better then me. I dont really know Polk speakers at all, not sure if they are sold in Norway. Looking quickly at the specs they do look promising but there are a lot of people with actual experience with them on this forum who can tell if they really are efficient and easy to drive or not.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Im just entering the home audio scene and I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V683 and two Pioneer SP-FS52 towers. I ran the YPAO and the system works fine for tv and movies but listening to music does not get loud enough for my tastes. It gets loud enough for my wife but I like my music EXTREMELY loud. I downloaded a db meter app and I know it probably isn't accurate but it only read like 80 db before distortion occurred and then the receiver actually shut itself down.

Questions: what do I need to replace and or add to my system to get it much much louder without distortion? do I need a separate amp to power towers? better receiver? better towers? both?

Thanks in advance.
Paul W. Klipsch is a person you should find out about, He tackled your very problem over 60 years ago, and solved it. The only question is how much do you want to invest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paul W. Klipsch is a person you should find out about, He tackled your very problem over 60 years ago, and solved it. The only question is how much do you want to invest.
I am looking up Klipsch speakers on amazon, I see there are powered sets for $1000 like the Klipsch R-28PF, but I cant hook these up to the receiver correct? so I should get the non powered versions? what about the Klipsch R-26F?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I am looking up Klipsch speakers on amazon, I see there are powered sets for $1000 like the Klipsch R-28PF, but I cant hook these up to the receiver correct? so I should get the non powered versions? what about the Klipsch R-26F?

The powered one isnt really what you are looking for ye. The R-26F might be nice but could be the 8inch version would be better but its bigger and a bit more expensive(which might make the smaller version better). I have heard the 8inch version and it did sound nice, not for me but im very sensitive to horn speakers but its much much better then old klipsch versions. Whichever speaker you are considering its a good idea to listen to them in a store if you have the option, it will not be the same as at home but can give a general idea of what you(and the wife/gf) like or dislike.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Just get some speakers for the kitchen. It will be a lot more cost effective than upgrading your entire system.

·
Registered
22,751 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Try the Pure Direct mode to see if that helps as you may have turned on some "features" meant for lower volume boosting that cause distortion when you play loudly.

Pure Direct will turn those "off" automatically if any are on.

I agree with Ray, just get some speakers for the kitchen.

These are not expensive and come with brackets and will work just fine.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ATR4W/Polk-Audio-Atrium4-White.html

Also, adding a sub will give you +6db more dynamic range with your current speakers which is significant.

For $400 get the RSL Speedwoofer, for $500 get the Monoprice THX 10", for $600 get the HSU VTF2.

The RSL offers free return shipping if not happy.

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts