AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need urgent help... I just bought a 51" 16 X 9 Hitachi 51UWX20B tv set. I have digital cable A panasonic DVDRP56 DVD a plain stereo VCR and an Onkyo TXSR 700 home theater receiver.

I connected the digital cable box according to hitachi setup guide which is from a spliiter one end to vcr input one end to antenna A of the TV. One cable going from TV (to converter) output to digital cable box input and the last cable from TV antenna B to Digital cable box out. This according to Hitachi allows me to use the PIP function. However i am unable to use the digital cable box to control the TV with that setup up. I can ony switch channel directly on TV

Next according to Onkyo. I ran a Svideo cable from the digital box to the svideo video 3 input of the onkyo and rca cables for sound as the coax does not seem to work.

next i hook up component cables from the TV video input to monitor output of the onkyo

next i ran digitak output (optical from dvd to onkyo and component cable to dvd source

lastI connected vcr cable from out and in of video to video 1 source of onkyo

With this setup if i try to switch the onkyo to video 3 for example to watch tv i do not have any sound or picture

What did i do wrong

Anyone could guide me to the proper setup

Thanks

Alain

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Alain,

Here's where we run into problems with cable boxes. I've always hated them.... Why? because they render many of the features of modern electronics useless. They prevent full usage of the pip functions on TV's, they limit the usefulness of VCR's to record one thing while watching another, and while they've gotten better at things like timed recording with a VCR - they still require you to program the box as well as the VCR. Cable boxes also completely ignore the fact that most video equipment that is purchased by the general public already has at least one - maybe two tuners already built in! OK, enough of my rant.

I think that for RG6 coax connections it needs to go like this:

from the wall to a splitter, from the splitter on one side to Ant B on the TV. From the splitter on the other side to the "cable in" on the cable box. Then form the "out to TV" on the cable box to the Ant. A input on the TV.

Then if you want to throw the receiver into the mix... run the DVD to the svid. input for DVD. Run the Svid out from the cable box to vid 1 input on the receiver AND run digital coax from the cable box digital output to one of the coax digital inputs on the onkyo (you will likely have to assign this input to vid1 in the menu - also, be sure the digital output is enabled on the cable box) Now run s-video cable from the 'monitor out' svideo jack on the receiver to the video 1 input on the tv.

This should give you all the options.... to watch TV with the receiver off, just tune to ant. A on the tv.

Want to watch tv with surround sound... turn receiver on and select vid.1 then turn receiver on and tune to vid 1 input.

want to watch dvd... tune tv to vid. 1 input and select dvd input on receiver.

If you have trouble let us know what's going wrong, and I'll try again.

Good Luck!

David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.