AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang - first post here. I've been doing some searching and researching, but can't find my answers yet. Here's what I'm looking it.

I've had my Sony 32XBR450 for about a year now - loving it! I also have a Sony DVP-NS700P (Progressive scan)

Now I've got the DVD player hooked up to the TV via component cables. In the setup of the DVD player, I told it I want progressive scan and 16:9 aspect. I'm using 16:9 since the XBR can handle it, right?

So everytime I watch a widescreen DVD, I have to manually set my TV to enhanced 16:9 on, or else the picture is stretched - it's not stretched completely top to bottom, I still have bars on top and bottom. But when I turn on enhanced mode, the bars get bigger, picture smaller, and everything looks fine. But it seems like I have a picture that's smaller than it should be, yet looks OK.

Am I doing something wrong? I found when the DVD player is set to interlaced, then the TV sets the 16:9 to auto and seems to set itself correctly.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The stuff is working exactly as it's supposed to. Your screen is a 4:3, not a 16:9 widescreen. That's the object's shape, which can't be changed. The "16:9 enhanced" mode has to work with the screen that's actually there, so what it does is tell the electron gun to scan only that middle section of the screen. The idea is that if you devote all of your gun scanes to the "wide" middle section of the screen, you get better resolution than if the electron gun were to scan across the top and bottom while not firing.

In other words, you'll never have a widescreen TV until you buy a widescreen TV; this mode just tries to use only that middle section of your 4:3 TV as if that section by itself were a 30" widescreen set. This works because you've told your DVD player that it's talking to a widescreen set. If you would set your DVD player appropriately for the 4:3 screen you have and didn't use the "16:9 enhanced" mode, it would also work properly. Things get stretched or squeezed one way or the other when your DVD player thinks it's talking to one kind of TV, and your TV is the other (or is ACTING as the other). One advantage of not using the 16:9 modes on either machine is that you won't have to manually change modes all the time. But, theoretically, you could loose some picture resolution. (It might also be possible to have the movie fill your screen, but you'd loose some of the picture at the right and left sides, and I don't know if that's really possible or not because I have never used a 4:3 digital TV, or any 4:3 with a DVD player.)

The picture you get is small because that's how much the image had to be shrunk to fit the 4:3 screen. The black bars are still there in both modes because some movies are shot at an even wider aspect ratio than a widescreen TV, so they still have to be shrunk to fit even a widescreen set; they just don't have to be shrunk as much. (Other movies will fit a widescreen TV set perfectly; because they're not all the same, it's impossible for one screen to be perfect for them all.) To try to get a movie to fill more of your screen instead of being so shrunk, your choices are: zoom in on the picture or use pan-&-scan if those are possible; or replace the TV with a real widescreen TV.

(This is one reason why I'm going widescreen when I get my first HDTV; I'd rather watch full-size movies and small or clipped TV shows than full-size TV shows and small or clipped movies...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes, I understand it's not really a 16:9 tv, I just wanted to make sure the enhanced mode was working correctly. Manually turning it on everytime isn't a big pain, just seemed odd that in interlaced, it automatically knew, while in progressive, it had no idea.

Now I'm starting to wish I had gone widescreen. I had a hard enough time spending $2k on this XBR when it came out, would have been very hard to justify even more for the widescreen; that 34XBR looks real sweet now!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
When I paid $2999 for my F-38310 I thought I was getting a bargain, I still do after getting 14,000 hours of use out of the 2001 model JX4!:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, does "auto" 16:9 enhanced mode only operate on interlaced input?

I too have a Sony 32" with auto 16:9 enhanced mode, and there ain't nothin' automatic about it -- given output from a progressive-scan DVD player set to drive a 16:9 display, the TV shows a full-height image until I turn on 16:9 enhanced mode manually. Am I missing something?

::

·
Registered
16 Posts
To bring back an old thread....I have the same problem. How do I get the "auto" detect to become auto? I have the xbr450 and a Sony 715P DVD player. When watching a movie I have to manually change the setting on the TV to 16:9. Is there an automatic way to accomplish this change?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have a progressive DVD player, setting it to interlaced should kick on the auto detect feature. I have the same problem, using progressive out will not kick it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.