AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a HTIB to go with my Pioneer 5070. I'm looking for around $500 including a dvd player. I live in a loft style apartment, so not really looking for high end since I can't turn up the sound all that high anyway.

Just a good value system. It seems like Onkyo and Yamaha are the one people prefer... any feedbacks?

Anyone with experience with LG 5.1-Channel Home Theater System (LH-T9654S)?? These can go wireless for the rear speakers with purchase of the wireless accessory speakers which is around $200.

Any feed backs on Sony DVD Dream® System Home Theater (DAV-FX900W)?

It's around $750 at CC after rebate..

I like the idea of wireless rears since I don't really want to run the wires to my rear speakers. My living room is wood floor and the ceiling is very very high since it's a loft style...

OR if I were to pick up a system that I must wire the rear speakers, what would be the best way to hide the wire across my hard wood floor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Not a fan of wireless. They just aren't up to par against wired speakers.

Do you have any crown molding along your walls? If it's removable, you can hide the wires there. Or get some wire mold, although it won't be as pretty. But you can run it along walls or beams or whatever.

I have the Onkyo HT-790 that you can get for around $400 new or quite a bit less for a refurbished unit. The 590 would be even cheaper, like under $300. Tack on about $70 or so for a good DVD player.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
In general it's recommened to look past those intigrated systems, they are underpowered, usually but not always have connnections which are specific to the model which make it next to impossible to upgrade around and if something should happen to dvd player you usually have to wind up trashing the entire system.

That's why Onkyo and Yamaha HITBs get receommed so much, they include quality receivers with their systems. IMO the Onkyo HT-S790 would be the way to go, doesn't include a dvd player but you could add one and still be well within your budget.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You remind me of my situation 3 years ago. I was looking at a Sony Dream system (that I bought and sold to my parents) and thought it looked great but that's where it ended. The Dream Systems are probably the most overrated electronic Home Theater equipment there is. Please don't waste your money on them. And believe me when I say I am not trying to flame your choices and I have no experience with the LG system but I also thought that wireless speakes would be great but it winds up being just a cut in quality (and a big cut) to avoid running and hiding two wires for surround speakers. Again, please don't make this mistake. Your best bet for a HTIB would be getting the Onkyo 790 for $399 at Circuit City http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do and then spending your remaining $100 on a Sony DVD player http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do and some 16g wire to upgrade the speaker wire that comes with the 790. You can get 100 feet for less than $20 at Wal-mart. This system will pretty much blow anything away for under $500. You could buy a receiver and separate speaker/sub set and the speakers would probably be of better quality than the Onkyo but it is very hard to beat the 790 for quality and value. It will be outstanding for movies and good for music, great for surround music. Anyway, I just saw your post and it reminded me of 2004 when I first got into Home Theater and I wish someone has told me that first day I walked into Circuit City to by a HTIB but then I wouldn't have been blessed to be able to upgrade like I have. BTW, I bought a Onkyo 670 and kept it for 1 year and then Got my current system which is a Onkyo 703 receiver, Infinity 7.1 speakers with a Velodyne Sub. I also have the Samsung 50" 1080p DLP. I couldn't be happier. Get the Onkyo 790 and you will be happy or disregard my post and buy the Sony or LG and you will be upgrading within months. $399 is a good price on the 790 and CC is currently running that special. It is regularly $499 so go pick it up this week. Good luck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies...

Yeah, the Onkyo 790 was on my mind since I've heard so many good things. I guess I'll go in and listen to it myself.

I have one more question. When choosing the DVD player, does the upconverting feature really make a difference or just prgressive scanning is enough? I've heard that if the TV that's being hooked up to does a good job of delacing the resolution, the upconvert dvd does not really do much. This will be hooked up to Pioneer 5070.

Thanks!

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpan223 /forum/post/0

does the upconverting feature really make a difference or just prgressive scanning is enough? Thanks!

It makes a small difference but it just depends if you want to pay $75 or $125. Is the $50 worth the upconverting feature? For me it was.

Good luck...

RTR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.