AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to get a OLed TV with Dolby Vision. Using GTX 1060 6gb now. Currently the video is direct to TV and audio to AVR. Do I need to get a new Graphic Card in order to have Dolby vision? Playing my movie with potplayer/MPC/PowerDVD.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
You won't get Dolby vision from a pc yet

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Reactions: josephtanyh

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
There is a Dolby Atmos app to get Atmos from compatible headphones. The latest Nvidia shield pro can do DV but it also has limitations

Reactions: josephtanyh

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you want to dive in the rabbit hole, you can create playing files for the pc, start your journey with looking for makemkv an it's forums.
Or throw money at it with dvdfab player.
Money is needed anyways for a compatible Blu-ray drive, the ones that can be converted into 4K ones, you will find the info together with makemkv.
Let me your questions along the way, when you get stuck ;-)
I am an enthusiast, not an expert, but if I can help I will!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Correct, you need MP4 container to be able to keep the Atmos track in,otherwise don't bother the hassle and keep it in MKV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.
No need to buy GPU from HTPC for encoding.
Buy Intel 11 Generation with IGP Intel Xe (Iris X): Supports Dolby Vision PRO and 3D Dolby Atmos with & up to 8K resolution. It is not necessary for the PC to have 300W.
I would just be careful when choosing a motherboard if it has HDMI 2.0

·
Registered
883 Posts
None of the GPUs support Dolby Vision

The new Intel CPU's allow for proper playback as Michal says, at least they're marketed that way I haven't tried. Also need a proper drive that can handle the bluray DRM.

A 4k bluray player would probably be ideal for anything Dolby Vision related. Avoids having to rip all your blurays because that's what all the other solutions will require and handles all the IP protections as intended.

As Neverwish said there are alternatives that could probably work with the shield but it's more complicated than it's worth unless you have a lot of blurays and having physical copies around is very inconvenient. Unless you only have rips go with the bluray player

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Seems crazy that a little streaming box can get you DV and Atmos but a PC is inferior. I just stream now-a-days and have giving up on HTPCs.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Seems crazy that a little streaming box can get you DV and Atmos but a PC is inferior. I just stream now-a-days and have giving up on HTPCs.
It's about the cost of DV licensing not technical

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Imo, all the unmentioned benefits a PC offers far outweighs not being capable of Dolby Vision. The picture improvement is simply too small and the loss of PC improvements would be too great. I would never trade them away to gain DV especially with streamed sources on STB's which in themselves is a step backward in quality that DV can't undo.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Depends what the person uses it for. UHD BD playback is best done via a standalone player. Ripping and such is best done by PC. Streaming services vary - if the one you want to watch doesn't have a web viewer or app, your only option is a supported streaming box. If it does, a PC with madVR can be better, as long as you don't care about surround sound (most streaming support is stereo only on PC, and 1080p instead of 4k. But it varies).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Imo, none of this is gospel:

I don't think UHD BD playback or any other format is best done on a standalone player. There are too many limitations.

An advantage using PC for playback is using ripped files which are exact back-ups of your physical discs - unless you don't believe in backing up. Via a PC through a software player, they present exactly is if the physical disc in a standalone player - identical. A standalone player requires to manually locate the disc and insert it while a PC has them available in an organized library from the comfort of a remote control. A PC offers processing a standalone player doesn't like madVR. A PC is more diverse than a standalone player since it does much more than playback video. This same PC is also the ripping tool. A standalone player is an unnecessary hardware and expense.

I don't know what you mean about PC's not doing surround sound and unable to upscale 1080p to 4k 2160p? A PC is completely capable of upscaling as well as high bitrate audios such as ATMOS and DTS-X and every other format and codec.

That said, the discussion was about Dolby Vision which isn't capable via a PC yet afaik. That if you just have to have it, you need to stream a DV title via a supported streaming box and for this reason users are going to migrate away from what I wrote above. Dolby Vision doesn't magnetize me enough and it never will tbh. If others have a need to fall under its spell... have at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts