AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I purchased my first hdtv (the 46F500) on CL for a small fee. While it has served me well and was a step up from my old 32" standard tube tv, I've noticed that there are some issues I would like to fix, if possible.

For one thing, the text on my Dish channel guide is somewhat blurry, especially towards the edges of the screen, and I have noticed that there appears to be some bowing of the image. This mainly shows up in the guide, as well, and not so much while watching live tv. Another is that the picture on my set looks "soft", as if something in the picture needs to be focused a little tighter.

The only thing I have done to the set since I got it was to lower the front screen to clean the three lenses and the mirror, since they were pretty dusty.

I believe I have read that on my set I can do a mechanical focus, an electrostatic (sp?) focus, and a convergence reset. I think (although I could be mistaken) that if I could do this, it would improve my image substantially. However, perusing this forum has left me with information overload, and what I am really hoping is that there is a single source that someone can point me to that would instruct me on how to make these adjustments. I would appreciate any input you guys could give me. TIA.

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
The #1 problem with CRT's is aging. Most of it being convergence problems. Electrical focus is somewhat easy to correct. Mechanical focus shouldn't be the issue unless the set was dropped.

Blooming is the other problem that you really can't fix unless you start replacing things.

This is why I don't miss CRT's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts