AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer Elite 510, and a Dell dimension 8100 THX with a GeForce 2 Ultra card.

I am using the RGB cable to connect my computer to the RGB in on the 510.

When the computer is NOT plugged in, I get a perfect picture with no interference, feedback, or whatever the problem is. ( I can only explain it best as it is like when you are watching the news, and you see a computer monitor in the background. You know how the monitor in the background is out of sync, and has those lines that move up or down the monitor? That is what this is like, only it is not as visible, but definatly visible enough to take the joy out of movies.)

The minute I just plug the computer in, not even turn it on, but just plug it in, I get the interference again. I have tried a different cable, and I have tried plugging the computer into a different outlet, as well as used a panamax surge protector, and APC UPS etc. I have tried all different outlet / power strip combinations to see if that would solve it, but it did not.

Do I need a new power supply in the computer? A new RGB cable? A new power cable for the computer? Does anyone know how to get rid of this? It doesn't seem like it was there before, and I don't know what I have changed. It can only be something with cables and power, as it does the same thing wether the computer is on or off, just as long as it is plugged in. It is very disturbing during movies.

Thank you for your help!

Marvin Lambert

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
You might want to see if there would be any other reasons to upgrade to a better power supply. Aside from your particular problem, cheap power supplies can decrease stability, create noise on audio, as well as captured video.

Also, I see you tried out APC UPS, and others, but if you have the opportunity to try a Monster HTS2000, I think you might find some luck there. I think the isolation on that unit may be very beneficial to your system. You should be able to find one for around $100. Check out www.audioreview.com for more info. I believe the HTS2000's and up are perhaps one of the few Monster products that can justify their value, if bought online.

Also have you tried an online UPS which would give you a stable voltage? Perhaps there is a lack of appropriate voltage being supplied to that particular circuit.

Just my thoughts, I'm in the process of cleaning up my system as well, so I have no personal success to report. I've got a 27" Monitor sitting next to a 27" TV so as you can imagine I've got some interesting things happening on my screens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently, I have nothing plugged into the tv tuner card.

I have a 200 panamax surge protector, I would think that would be comporable to the MOnster, no?

I can try a new power supply, and RGB cord.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you so much for your help so far. I will see if the new cable, and power supply will do it. I think that I have a sparkle somewhere around here, isn't that the best power supply they make? Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Marvin Lambert

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Marvin,

Do you have other devices connected to the TV, i.e. cable box, VCR, etc.? Have you tried connecting only the PC to the TV?

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.