AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain why this might be happening...

Couple nights ago I recorded a show off antenna in hd, and last night I watched it..It played back great in HD..Ok tonight i put the same tape in the machine and hit play and I'm getting the audio of the show, but the picture is showing Dopler weather radar from the same abc station...Ok why could I watch it last night and tonight I can't....THe audio is there...

Also, I tried a couple other tapes I recorded on, one was csi Miami, played back perfect.. the other was CSI investigates, I get the picture, but it is coming in standard 4:3 non HD, this happened to me last week on playback of the same tape, it showed up in non hd, but after playing around, I got it in HD, I have no Idea why..

So I tried the AFC championship game I taped and it played back fine....

What's going on????

I know I do have a machine that I have to send back for the updates..But I thought the updates were for playback freezing up....

Thanks for any help with this, it is getting fustrating....Is there a way to use the remote to change the apect ratio or input of 480I to 1080??I have no manual, it was the floor model...

THank you,

Rick

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The 30K records multi-casting. So if your affiliate is on 4.1 and 4.2. It'll record both streams. I have to actually use the channel button on my TV remote to go between the two. I had some people over one time to watch a show and had color bars from the multi channel until I figured this out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

>

So how come I was able to play back the show I recorded and watch it fine last night, but tonight I can't?

Usually When I record something, I will have the tv set to the channel I'm taping while I tape it..Like I recorded channel 5.1 while watching it, and having the jvc on the I-1 link...

Maybe I'm just not understanding this...WHat about when I playback what I recorded and it plays back in 4.3 not HD....Why would this happen? Is there a way to change to output from the remote?

Rick

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RickPas
WHat about when I playback what I recorded and it plays back in 4.3 not HD....Why would this happen? Is there a way to change to output from the remote?
While watching the tape, use the up or down channel buttons on the remote control and you should be able to scroll though all the subchannels in the original broadcast.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Ed is correct if you watching the analog output from the JVC and Greg is describing what happens if you are watching throught the 1394 output. My Mits tv will display which ever sub channel its tuner was last tuned to, when the JVC is playing back until it its is changed using the guide button.

The JVC manual was available on line. If you can't find it, let me know. I have it on CD and I work in Newport. John

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the help, I will try this out...I just downloaded the manual, I just have to print it out..THe manual doesn't seem as helpful as other manuals I have for my other equipment..

Is there a way to check what output I'm watching...480, 1080 from the remote?

Rick

·
Registered
462 Posts
Now I am confused. I am using the JVC 30K with the Samsung SIR-T165 as the tuner. We have 2 stations in town that multicast, PBS, which has 5 streams, and an independent, which has one HD stream of an over the air version of HDNET, and the independent stations normal analog feed in 480i. When I set the Samsung to record via the timer function channel 45.2 or 2.5, for example, the tuner starts everything up but displays 2.1 or 45.1. If I understand what you are saying, the JVC is recording all 5 multicasts from channel 2 or both the HD and analog broadcast from 45. What I haven't been able to do is figure out how to switch between the various sub channels while playing back the tape. Please explain which remote to use, and which buttons to press to switch sub-channels. By the way, I am using the Sony KDF70XBR950 as the TV set to view this on. The JVC is connected to both the I-Link and component video inputs. I can watch the JVC on both the ILink input and on the Component input.

Also, I have the JVC manual and could not find anything about this in the manual. If you could tell me the page that explains this that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Runch Machine
Now I am confused. I am using the JVC 30K with the Samsung SIR-T165 as the tuner. We have 2 stations in town that multicast...When I set the Samsung to record via the timer function channel 45.2 or 2.5, for example, the tuner starts everything up but displays 2.1 or 45.1. If I understand what you are saying, the JVC is recording all 5 multicasts from channel 2 or both the HD and analog broadcast from 45....
Unfortunately that's not the case, but it's not the fault of the 30k. Even though the Samsung can display all the subchannels thru it's MPEG decoder and component output, it only sends one subchannel out via firewire. The 30k records everything it receives, but from the Samsung it's always going to be one subchannel. If you are recording manually by hitting the record button on the 30k you can catch the subchannel the Samsung is tuned to, but if you use the Samsung timer it will always default to the first subchannel (45.1 etc.). If you use the 30k timer you can catch the subchannel the Samsung is tuned to, but some folks are still having trouble with that recording trick.

Using a different tuner (like the Panny DST51) the 30k does indeed record all the subchannels, and when the tape is played back it is possible to thumb thru them all using the big oval button on the bottom of the 30k remote.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gridleak, what happens when you use the 165's Firewire controls to manually start the 30k? Last week my daughter asked me to tape American A-***ole on the Fox affiliate, which comes in on 5-0, 5-1 and 5-2. I had the Sammy tuned to 5-1, hit record, checked the component outputs for the correct signal, then left the room. When I tried to play it back for her, nothing but snow. I never thought to try the channel up/down button, and think I have recorded over that tape.

Runch Machine: I still can't get the 165 to operate more than 1 event, and even then it is very iffy. If I program 2 events, the 165 tunes to the channel of the second event. I turn it off, and it just sits there and waits, and waits, and waits. The event time passes, it has never turned itself on and has no events in memory.

The local LG dealer says the LG 3410A is showing as available for delivery in 7-10 days. Sure it is $ 1k, but I paid list for the Samsung. I'm REAL close to taking it back to Tweeter/HiFi Buys. It is my second unit and they have moved the delivery date of a replacement back another week.

Jim

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merton
Gridleak, what happens when you use the 165's Firewire controls to manually start the 30k? Last week my daughter asked me to tape American A-***ole on the Fox affiliate, which comes in on 5-0, 5-1 and 5-2. ...
It works the same as using the 30k controls. I don't know what went wrong with the tape, but using the 30k oval button wouldn't have done anything because the Samsung only sends one subchannel to the recorder. Are you sure about the "5-0"? I only see 5-1, 5-2 etc on mine.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merton
5-0 is the analog signal for the same station.
Shows how much analog tv I watch.:D I forgot the Samsung is also an NTSC tuner. I did a channel scan to pick up all those fuzzy -0's and tested the recording stuff again and it still works properly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Merton, when I first got my Samsung 165 I also had weird problems with timer events. I posted here and someone said to check the station clocks to see if any are way off. You can do this by tuning the Samsung to the various digital channels and press the info button. Sure enough, two of my local channels had their clocks set 4 hours fast. They are not channels that I need so I deleted them from the channels received and the problem went away. I regularly use the timer function in the Samsung and since I deleted the channels with incorrect time, every timer reservation has worked perfectly. The Samsung receiver gets it internal clock set by the time broadcast by the TV stations you receive. If any are off, the receiver will not record as it may think that the event you want has passed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.