AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am suddenly starting my second dedicated home theater. I have experience, but it seems like a lot has happened in the last 6 years since I finished the last one. The builder of our new house is going to finish most of the basement, and frame the theater. Now that the deal is sealed, he wants to have a final drawing quickly. Here are my questions.

1: because of the layout, there are 2 funky areas on the corners, do I want the theater rectangular, or do I want to include these areas for some acoustical reason? Maybe they would work well as bass trap areas?

2: Would it be better for sound isolation to have the double doors, or have a vestibule? Please see the third image for a possible variation to include the vestibule.

Thanks in advance. I know I don't have a lot of detail in the outlines, but it will be room within a room construction with DD and GG. I have 130" wide SMX 2.40 screen for the screen. Rough dimensions are 15'X20'.

Feel free to ask questions, I really need to move on this right away since walls are going to start going up in a few days.
I'll probably start or modify this thread when I get to work in it. Provisionally called Peone Foothills Monoplex, hey you've got to have the name first, right?

·
Registered
500 Posts
What about a equiptment closet in the back corner ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Equipment closet is an idea I've been thinking of, but it would be nice to access the back of it easily. This is one reason I like the vestibule, I could have the equipment in there, with a glass window to view the front of the equipment from the theater side.

·
Registered
500 Posts
So thats what the vestibule was for

for sound isolation the double doors you are thinking of is one opening into another right ? ... not double doors like side by side

Have you considered how you will heat/cool that space ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the double doors will be one into the other, one on each of the parallel walls.

I'm liking the vestibule idea more and more. I could use the area to display my props, like my Master Replicas Enterprise, etc.

As for HVAC, it is in a basement. I am also looking at zoned thermostats. The main floor has a heat pump, and the basement is on a separate electric furnace. I'm going to tie into the heat pump for the theater, and use a multizone controller so the theater can be cooled if needed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump.

I really need some help here. Could someone alert Dennis to weigh in for me? I meet with the builder Friday, so don't let me down guys.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
1. I think you'll have an easier time getting the room acoustics right with a rectangle than with your other options. There's nothing wrong with using one of those areas for equipment. With a slide out rack you can always get to the back of the rack and just how often do you really think you'll need to be doing that? Daily? Weekly? If your rack is visible in the room, the equipment area must be included as a part of your sound isolation envelop.

2. Double doors (side by side) are difficult to isolate and it's expensive. Having a lobby area (included in your envelope) with two doors (one to the theater, one into the lobby) is the more effective way from an isolation perspective.

I hope you're planning on significant dollars for a projector to handle a 130" wide screen.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much Dennis for giving your insight.

1. I'll go with a more rectangular room. A slide out rack may be an option. I've seen some that rotate after sliding out, that may be better for my situation here.

2. I like the vestibule plan too. Do you see any issues with my idea of an angled door into the theater from the lobby?

I am using a Sony VW60 right now with the screen, and it's fine. I come from CRT, and already have a Batcave. With a new house and theater project its unlikely I'll be getting a new projector soon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like option 3. Maybe not a corner door, but i would have to look at it. Corners are excellent for equipment racks and Home automation gear. Dead space outside the theater better for sound control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts