AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a friend of mine wants some help with his HT in a house he's finishing up. Where he wants the display puts me in kind of a tricky spot as far as the sound goes from the LCR channels. I'm just not sure what the best direction will be.

Here's the layout (not quite to scale):

______|Door| __Wall__|Door|_______
Hallway-------TV (80")------- Hallway
------|------------------------|AVR---
------|------------------------|---------
--Wall|CC(C=couch)--------- |Wall---
------|CCCCCCCCCCC--------|---------
------|___________________|---------
----------Back Wall--------------------

As you can hopefully see from the diagram here, my problem lies in that the TV he wants will take up the entire span of the wall between the doors. I can't put the LR speakers in the hallway or in front of the doors obviously. There's the possibility of mounting bookshelf speakers over the doorways, but I believe that is not going to sound good. WAY too much height separation, right? I can put speakers directly under the TV, but I'm not sure how that will sound with the LR being so close together.

So what are my best options in this odd room? Are there good non-powered 3-channel soundbars that actually have decent stereo separation? CAN I mount the LR over the doors with acceptable results if I angle them down toward the viewer? Should I just mount smaller LR speakers directly under the TV at such a narrow width relative to the display (FWIW door trim to door trim is around 73"). Should I encourage him to maybe go with a smaller TV and mount the LR speakers to the sides of the screen?

We're going for a clean looking, but decent 7.1 surround setup. Powered soundbars need not apply What doth thine excellencies think?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about something like the GoldenEar 3D Array? http://www.goldenear.com/products/supercinema3d
Ooh! Something like that might be PERFECT!!! The XL might fit quite nicely. I'm liking the review I'm reading. Now the question is where do I find one? Having a tough time finding them for sale online.

Are there any other products out there that are comparable to that?

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
That Goldenear is essentially a sound bar with some really good tweeters in it. Not sure i would pay 1,000-1,500 dollars for a sound bar, but a soundbar might be the best option here. The mjaor droawback with a soundbar is your cannot get much imagining, since the L/R speakers are fixed and rather close together. Sounds like that will be a problem here regardless...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Ooh! Something like that might be PERFECT!!! The XL might fit quite nicely. I'm liking the review I'm reading. Now the question is where do I find one? Having a tough time finding them for sale online.

Are there any other products out there that are comparable to that?
I would suggest you check out the GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread if you're curious about the product. As for alternatives, I think there are a few other passive soundbars out there, but I'm not too familiar with them.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Goldenear is essentially a sound bar with some really good tweeters in it. Not sure i would pay 1,000-1,500 dollars for a sound bar, but a soundbar might be the best option here. The mjaor droawback with a soundbar is your cannot get much imagining, since the L/R speakers are fixed and rather close together. Sounds like that will be a problem here regardless...
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too. Was worried about the imaging. The good thing (for my sake) is that my buddy is not really much of an audiophile and would probably be happy with just about anything. However as a friend, I won't be happy unless I make sure to set him up to the best of my ability. You know how us geeks are. My local a/v street cred's at stake here. Haha. Gotta keep it relatively affordable (around $2-3k for the audio side), but I'm sure we can make this thing rock if planned and implemented right.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If the TV is 80" I would use three GoldenEar SuperSat 60s (two 60s for left and right, one 60C for the center). Mount the speakers right alongside the TV, with the 60C horizontal under the TV screen. They are decent speakers, but will require a subwoofer to fill in the low end (and with these speakers you'll need to cross over the LFE output in the receiver at like 200Hz).

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too. Was worried about the imaging. The good thing (for my sake) is that my buddy is not really much of an audiophile and would probably be happy with just about anything. However as a friend, I won't be happy unless I make sure to set him up to the best of my ability. You know how us geeks are. My local a/v street cred's at stake here. Haha. Gotta keep it relatively affordable (around $2-3k for the audio side), but I'm sure we can make this thing rock if planned and implemented right.
The Golden Ear product is really the perfect solution, as there is no room to the sides for speakers. If you have read some of the reviews (and you should) you will note that GE has taken a very interesting approach to achieving good imaging from this array. There are multiple drivers on the outside of the array, which allows them to use one set for the primary signal and the second set is used to project a signal derived from the original signal to enhance the "separation" of the sound. Read the specs / reviews for more info on this tech.

Bottom line, the speakers do impart a very nice image that seems much wider than the physical width of the array itself. Also, be aware that these speakers have a very narrow vertical dispersion, so the height of the speaker (or the angle) relative to the listening position is critical to getting the most from the array.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts