AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the DLP in my living room with a projector. However, there is a lot of ambient light, and while I'll be able to block a lot of it sometimes, there will be other times when I won't want to.

I'd be looking to put a ~100" screen on the wall behind the TV. Throw distance is 16 feet, seating distance is 14 feet. Budget of $2500-$3000.

Is there anything I can get that will look good with the ambient light in the picture attached? After going through a LOT of posts, I'm thinking the Epson 1440 with either a Silver Ticket Silver or High Contrast screen. My understanding is that the Epson is the brightest projector in my price range, do you guys think it'll be enough for my environment? Anything else I should consider?

My other concern is the discussions of the Epson being too bright in dark environments. Sixteen feet is the farthest throw distance for the screen size, so hopefully that will help some. Will this end up being too bright at night with the lights off?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Screen gain

If you have the money, there is at least one screen brand that makes a screen that rejects side light and only reflects direct light from the projector. Big bucks though. For a 100 inch size you are talking probably around 4 thousand dollars. You can block a lot of light fore this amount of money though. I went with window and archway pull down black shades instead. Happy with what I got. I did go to a .8 gain for my sony projector and actually used a 1.4 with the epson. Talk to a screen company armed with your projector model and see what they recommend.
Screen-Innovations-7-Series-Zero-Edge---Black-Diamond-7TZ100BD14/Screen/26801

Look around to see physically something before you buy.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
A 100" screen isn't considered all that big in the world of front projection, so it may not be necessary to get the absolute brightest projector you can find. The Epson 1440 is a crossover business projector that is very bright and can throw a fairly nice home video image. But the image will not be quite as refined as Epson's dedicated home video models.

The Epson 3700 is the brightest home video model and will throw a more refined image. It also has added benefits such as substantial horizontal and vertical lens shift. In brightest mode and high lamp projectorcentral.com measured actual lumens at more than 3,400, so you don't give up too much over a 1440. In return you would get a nicer image when viewing at night, which is when most people do their reference viewing while daytime projection viewing tends to be more casual. It really depends on whether you want to prioritize daytime or nighttime viewing as no projector is optimized for both.

With your budget you could buy a 3700 and one of the less expensive ambient light rejecting screens. However, the direction from which the ambient light is coming is critical. ALR screens can't reject ambient light coming from the same direction where the projector is located. But if your ambient light is coming from the side you might be able to come up with a combination that will give reasonable performance both day and night. Obviously anything you can do to reduce ambient light falling on or near the screen will have a bigger impact on performance than almost anything else.

If any projector is too bright at night on its lowest lumen settings then one option is to add a neutral density filter in front of the lens to reduce lumens. @rob80b describes how he did this with his 1440 in the following AVS Forum thread:

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2735705-epson-home-cinema-1440-life-after-plasma.html

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The Epson 3700 is the brightest home video model and will throw a more refined image. .............

If any projector is too bright at night on its lowest lumen settings then one option is to add a neutral density filter .........
I was just about to bring up both those points......
With regards to the Neutral Density filter, my 1440 is on a shelf just above my head so changing it is not such a big deal, if it's ceiling mounted I can see it being fairly inconvenient...but having the ability to change the brightness gives one the option of viewing and maintaining a good to excellent picture under different lighting conditions..... I do alternate between the ND2 and ND4 fairly frequently.
Also keep in mind the 1440's offset only has 8" above the bottom of the screen to be aligned properly if shelf mounted behind the viewer, that's fine if your screen is placed fairly high and one can place the shelf accordingly but problematic if low, the 3700 would allow more placement flexibility

Haven't had the opportunity to see the output quality of the 3700 nor hear the fan level, the 1440m is fairly loud if not in ECO mode, it's a solid machine so not too sure if the 3700 would be that different and if one uses ECO mode on the later the lumens is reduced to almost half when in Cinema (best color)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-3700-review.htm
Epson HC 3700 ANSI Lumens MODE HIGH MED ECO Dynamic 3438 3137 2306 Bright Cinema 2465 2249 1653 Natural 2588 2362 1736 Cinema 2439 2225 1635

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Is there a consensus on which budget ALR screen is the best or at least are there any to avoid? Dark Energy, Elite...?
I haven't seen a true consensus on best budget ALR screen. They all seem to have a different balance of pros and cons. Also, even at the budget level there can still be a fairly significant difference in price ranging from less <$200 for just screen material to ~$1,000 for a complete screen. This question is better addressed in the Screens section of AVS Forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just put in a Sony VPL-HW45ES with an Elite CineGrey screen. My room is not nearly as bright as yours appears to be. Result, I'm very happy when the room is dark (not too bright) but although viewable with light, still less than satisfying. Bill Shenefelt's suggestion of focusing on blacking out techniques seems the best to me if possible in your situation. Get the bright projector and ALR screen anyway for those times when you can't or don't want to black out the room completely.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You have a very bright room. How about a photo of what it looks like when you block the light since not every room is good for daytime projection.

For example, my family room is perfect at night, but even on a cloudy day I cannot block enough light to even consider a projector. I haven't invested in a ALR screen for the room since I have a basement for projection. My Epson only puts out 1800 lumen, but even with it cranked up it is not worth it compared to the 70" TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Just to give an idea of real world performance with the 1440, in ECO but in dynamic mode for full brightness projected 15' onto a 128" Elunevision Luna 1.1 Cinegrey screen (not ALR), north facing windows, blinds open but it is 6pm, 2.5 hrs before sundown so the sun is north west plus I have a small window facing west, so lots of light. View-able but I wouldn't line up any dark scene-d movies until night fall in this situation : )
Normally if I’d do any daytime viewing it would be with the blinds closed, drapes pulled so the above would be the the worst case scenario.;)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2735705-epson-home-cinema-1440-life-after-plasma-2.html#post52327473

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
and in contrast....night time, dark room viewing....ECO, Cinema mode with ND4 filter.
Speakers seem a little high???:)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'd like to replace the DLP in my living room with a projector. However, there is a lot of ambient light, and while I'll be able to block a lot of it sometimes, there will be other times when I won't want to.

I'd be looking to put a ~100" screen on the wall behind the TV. Throw distance is 16 feet, seating distance is 14 feet. Budget of $2500-$3000.

Is there anything I can get that will look good with the ambient light in the picture attached? After going through a LOT of posts, I'm thinking the Epson 1440 with either a Silver Ticket Silver or High Contrast screen. My understanding is that the Epson is the brightest projector in my price range, do you guys think it'll be enough for my environment? Anything else I should consider?

My other concern is the discussions of the Epson being too bright in dark environments. Sixteen feet is the farthest throw distance for the screen size, so hopefully that will help some. Will this end up being too bright at night with the lights off?

Thanks for any input.
Is it possible for you to treat each window with blinds, drapes and or shades so that if desired, you can darken the room when you want to watch the projector during the daylight hours. For myself, part of the fun in bringing a projector into my family room was is in finding out different ways to treat each window and source of light to the desired effect. As well, with all the windows treated, you can still let the light in you want, when you don't want it too dark. Another thing people do, is have a flat panel tv mounted on the wall for daytime viewing and a screen that drops down in front of it for projector time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Base on the photos posted, I would point out these for your consideration:-

1/.The screen is hoisted up to high all the way to the ceiling. Viewers have to head up. your neck will soon be at sore after 1 and a half hours to 2 hours viewing at that position. You have to move down your screen, so the lower edge of the screen is level with your equipment table in front.

2/. Your front speakers are blocking part of the screen. You must lower down your speaker onto ground.

3/. If you have money to spend further, I suggest you to buy a roll down screen (auto or manual). You just pull it down in front of your speakers. Then you have a better viewing angle for your head.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You have a very bright room. How about a photo of what it looks like when you block the light since not every room is good for daytime projection.

For example, my family room is perfect at night, but even on a cloudy day I cannot block enough light to even consider a projector. I haven't invested in a ALR screen for the room since I have a basement for projection. My Epson only puts out 1800 lumen, but even with it cranked up it is not worth it compared to the 70" TV.
Suggest Steve to use a pull down screen in front of the speakers and the TV Set. The picture projecting on wall is too high up. No good for movie viewing over 2 hours or more.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Room and preferences

Base on the photos posted, I would point out these for your consideration:-

Hi kwok

Thanks.... but the concerns for my set up is probably off topic concerning the OPs inquiry....but then maybe not.
Many of us planning or wishing to put in a projection system in place where once or now resides a TV, probably our living room and not a dedicated home theater space, will most likely need to compromise one way or another, especially if one is more of an audiophile than videophile. : )
In my case my room is only 10'w x 15'l x 9.5'h, my priority is audio, so with Dynaudio Specials25s optimally placed 6' apart, 2' from the side wall and on 20" stands plus the height of the speakers and tweeter 48" from the front wall my screen would need to be much higher for an unobstructed view but not possible due to a venting system and a drop down in front impractical. Also as I finally opted for a 128" screen the full width of the room where would the speakers go?
And if I could accommodate a lower screen then the projector would need to be ceiling mounted on a 3' foot or longer extension as shelf mounting would be impossible putting the projector lower than the viewer.
So in my "living room" ...audio first, therefore speaker placement ...projector/screen second .........it's a compromise .... : )

Looking at the OPs room a lot has to be considered.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Probably the biggest decision for those deciding on a "living room" projector is screen size and what the room can accommodate.
As one compromise... I was initially going either for a smaller screen or go for the max on a 2:35 (see pics)... above the speakers and the plasma.... that also meant constantly adjusting the height and zoom of the projector to accommodate 16:9, totally impractical. and the screen would be much higher than it is now.
So again...always a compromise...I decided on the max the room width could accommodate for 16:9, even if the speakers were too high, and glad I did...128" is totally immersive and at 14' ....inches within the THX recommendation for seating distance and image size. : )

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi kwok

Thanks.... but the concerns for my set up is probably off topic concerning the OPs inquiry....but then maybe not.
Many of us planning or wishing to put in a projection system in place where once or now resides a TV, probably our living room and not a dedicated home theater space, will most likely need to compromise one way or another, especially if one is more of an audiophile than videophile. : )
In my case my room is only 10'w x 15'l x 9.5'h, my priority is audio, so with Dynaudio Specials25s optimally placed 6' apart, 2' from the side wall and on 20" stands plus the height of the speakers and tweeter 48" from the front wall my screen would need to be much higher for an unobstructed view but not possible due to a venting system and a drop down in front impractical. Also as I finally opted for a 128" screen the full width of the room where would the speakers go?
And if I could accommodate a lower screen then the projector would need to be ceiling mounted on a 3' foot or longer extension as shelf mounting would be impossible putting the projector lower than the viewer.
So in my "living room" ...audio first, therefore speaker placement ...projector/screen second .........it's a compromise .... : )

Looking at the OPs room a lot has to be considered.
I then suggest not to be too greedy putting up a 125 inches screen. My screen ) is big enough, watching from 14 feet away from my screen. You can consider a short flow projector to a 80 to 100 screen. YOU will not fall short and still maintain your speakers at same position. Check Projector Central website for the appropriate short flow projector. You should find one you like, say from Epson. Get a manual row down screen of 80 inches diagonal would be good too.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I then suggest not to be too greedy putting up a 125 inches screen.
I'm currently very happy with the current setup...I like the compromise for 128"s... guess sometimes it's ok to be greedy....lol...
I guess being a visual artists one of my dreams in my retirement years (although still working) was to have wall to wall for "movie" watching...... :)

(funny though...I've had numerous folks over to watch movies and no one appeared to notice the speakers protruding into the bottom of the screen :confused:, just not a critical part of the image or they're just accustomed to someones head in the way at the cinema.:eek:)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
........ Check Projector Central website for the appropriate short flow projector. You should find one you like, ...
That brings up another very important point for those wishing to set up in the "living room"...where to put the projector?
I originally considered a short throw but that would mean planning view times as a the projector would need to be put away and then set up each time...totally not practical...also have a couple of furry friends that are fairly curious and then there's also no room for a tv diner. : )
Back wall worked out , projector is always ready to go as is the motorized screen... no cables crossing the room to trip over..etc..etc....(ceiling mount would have been even better/nice but too many obstacles, height, ceiling fan...ceiling and walls are older plaster covered wood laths...also I'm renting)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts