AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I was hoping you could help me with some issues on my HTPC that I just built.

HTPC specs:

Intel E6300 ES 1.86Ghz

MSI P7NGM-Digital (GeForce 9300)

2GB Micron 667mhz

X-Fi XtremeGamer

Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-1800 MCE

Antec Fusion Case

500GB Seagate 7200.11

Vista64

Home theater consists of:

42" Samsung 1080i Plasma

Onkyo HT-SR700 HTIB (set up as 5.1)

DirectTV satellite box

HTPC

XBOX 360

Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

IcyBox NAS (Seagate 1TB for storage)

Pics of my setup:

The issue that I am having is the following. When I set up the Logitech Harmony 880 Remote to use my HTPC as an activity (switch to HDMI on the TV, to VCR/DVR on the Onkyo receiver, TV On, DirectTV satellite box On) I am able to switch channels on the DirectTV box using the Harmony remote.

However, the Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-1800 MCE kit wants me to use its own remote for switching channels and such on the PC. This makes things really annoying and complicated as it wants to switch channels by itself on my DirectTV box when trying to watch a channel or record something in MCE.

How can I record shows and watch TV on my PC without using a second remote? The whole point of buying the Harmony remote was to eliminate all other remotes in the system.

Thanks for the help!

· Registered
936 Posts
I'm confused -- are you trying to tune via DirectTV or via Hauppauge when using your HTPC? If for some reason you want both, there's obviously only one set of Channel buttons. Regardless, you can tweak the 'soft-keys' to include any function from any remote. For instance, when I select "Watch a DVD" it switches the TV video to my HTPC, sets the Channel buttons for my Hauppage, sets the Volume buttons for my receiver, and sets the soft-keys for the BeyondTV "On/Off", the receiver's audio-input toggle and the TV's 'HDMI-2' input (those last two are quick-fixes in case not all the inputs got triggered properly).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.