AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attached pictures of my new home. I am working to get a new System installed by Labor Day... The home presents some challenges with 16' ceilings, sorta echoy room, and is a great room so lots of space to fill with sound. I'd like to take advantage of Best Buy 3 year financing, so would like to get most of the system there. I was considering the 55BL7100 Samsung LED TV $2600 and then adding the Samsung HTIB with bluray player. Will this sound OK in this room. It is wired for 7.1 surround sound... you can see the wires coming out of the ceiling and the rest of the wires are in the tv area under the outlet on the wall. I'd like the stay around $5000... any ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't see your picture here at work, so I'm just giving you some general advice. First of all, putting a 2 week time frame on having your project done means you are depriving yourself of good research time on the forum here. I personally would be wanting to get the most bang for my buck for the $5000 I had to spend. The nice thing about your setup (from the sounds of it) is that it's all wired already. So, that's good.

If I had $5000 to spend, I wouldn't spend $3K on the TV. If you are just in love with that TV, then that's fine, but there are a ton of options for big flat panels these days for under $2K. I'm sure those LEDs have incredible pictures, but so do a TON of other flat panels for less...no sense in spending extra money on the brand new technology. I think I saw a 55" Panasonic 1080p plasma for like $1500 in the latest Best Buy ad...that's sick.

Besides, with a big room to fill, you will want a good receiver and good speakers...NOT a HTiB. Also, (again I haven't looked at the picture), but I assume you will want to reduce the number of cables going from your receiver to your display...which means getting a good receiver with upscaling/upconvert through a single HDMI cable.

These are my gut reactions to the questions you are asking. If you disagree, refer to my signature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/17012655

I can't see your picture here at work, so I'm just giving you some general advice. First of all, putting a 2 week time frame on having your project done means you are depriving yourself of good research time on the forum here. I personally would be wanting to get the most bang for my buck for the $5000 I had to spend. The nice thing about your setup (from the sounds of it) is that it's all wired already. So, that's good.

If I had $5000 to spend, I wouldn't spend $3K on the TV. If you are just in love with that TV, then that's fine, but there are a ton of options for big flat panels these days for under $2K. I'm sure those LEDs have incredible pictures, but so do a TON of other flat panels for less...no sense in spending extra money on the brand new technology. I think I saw a 55" Panasonic 1080p plasma for like $1500 in the latest Best Buy ad...that's sick.

Besides, with a big room to fill, you will want a good receiver and good speakers...NOT a HTiB. Also, (again I haven't looked at the picture), but I assume you will want to reduce the number of cables going from your receiver to your display...which means getting a good receiver with upscaling/upconvert through a single HDMI cable.

These are my gut reactions to the questions you are asking. If you disagree, refer to my signature.

When you get home you should take a look at the pictures and see what you think as far as speakers go.. I have decided against HTIB as everyone laughs when I mention it. I'm looking now at doing a 7.1 system using a Yamaha RX-V565 630 Watt Amplifier with 4 HDMI upconverting inputs (SKU 9245444 at best buy) $429.99. I was thinking about using Yamaha's Natural sound in wall speakers to compliment the receiver... however after looking at your system I noticed that you used Speakercraft and they look really nice. I like that they are aimable. Do you like them, are they affordable? How much? I agree that I don't think I want to go with the Samsung... I can get bigger 58" for much LESS! I'm also looking at a Harmony One Remote and Monster Definition Power center. Any suggestions on where to get HDMI Cables for cheap?

My main concern now is getting a good receiver and speakers... probably in wall as I heard these will be superior to on wall.

Oh yeah, and I've been researching for longer than a few weeks! I just finally gave myself a timeline to get my butt into gear. I want to get this system up and running! HA!

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odryan /forum/post/17026471

Any suggestions for a good speaker setup? I know it's a large room to fill...

Did you get my reply to your PM? I sent you a link where I got my Speakercrafts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Here's the system I designed today at the store:

Samsung LED 55B7000 Flatscreen

Samsung BDP3600 - Free with TV

Denon 1910 7.1 Receiver

Klipsch RF10 x2 RC10 X1 R1650C X4

Mirage Omni 58BL

Monster HDP1800 Power Center

Monster HDMI 1000 X2

Monster Speaker Wire and Subwoofer Cable

Harmony 890 Remote To control it all

What do you Think????

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That /forum/post/17036694

Save yourself some dough and punt the Monster stuff. Overpriced, over-hyped, and poor performers. Think "the Bose of cables."

He's trying to put it all on his BB account though, for 3 year 0% financing.

-----------------------------

I thought you had decided against the LED, but I guess it keeps catching your fancy. That's fine, I'm sure they are gorgeous pictures. The list looks pretty good, it's important that you are happy with it. I was very happy with my Klipsch setup in my old media room. Definitely support the Harmony remote option...and the RF version too. I don't know much about the Denon receiver, but just make sure it has the HDMI options you want and upconverts/upscales through one HDMI output.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts