AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I need some help replacing the tweeters in a pair of micca mb42x speakers. I bought my pair about a year ago but ever since I started playing them I felt the tweeters were poor. I gave them time to break in and while they did improve much, I felt like they left a lot to desire. At lower volumes they sound great! However the moment you up the volume; it gets crazy! Now being the noob that I am (my first set of real speakers), I can't say that I know exactly what a tweeter sounds like when it starts distorting but if I had to guess I think thats whats happining. If there is a song with alot of highs or symols; oh god, you're ears bleed alittle! Being in such a close proximity with the speakers; I never really turn them very loud. Even so, the tweeters just overpower everything at moderate volumes and result in ear piercing highs and one bad headache. As a whole I've happy with my setup. The subwoofer (martinlogan dynimo 300) sounds good and so do the mids on the miccas (even if there lacking). Then theres the screaming tweeters xD.
So this lead me to the idea of replacing them.
I would rather stick to tweeters that have an OD of 2 1/2'' since that is the stock tweeter cutout. While I do feel comfortable modding the speaker enclosure, I would rather not since I don't have the proper tools. While looking I found these (the only pair that look good and fit the stock cutout): parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd28f-6-1-1-8-neodymium-dome-tweeter--275-040
Would these sound any better then the originals? Also how well would they work with the exisiting crossovers? This leads me to my next question; would this upgrade be worth it? Would it be a better idea to just buy new speakers? I figured this would be the less expencive way of doing it and since these speakers are only 1 year old, maybe the smarter to.

Setup pictures:
i.imgur.com/IW0OdPx.jpg
i.imgur.com/kgzJP7A.jpg
i.imgur.com/z4N2v6M.jpg
(had to remove the http part in the links since I'm not allowed to post links yet) :\
Thanks for you're help in advance

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Hello everyone!
I need some help replacing the tweeters in a pair of micca mb42x speakers. I bought my pair about a year ago but ever since I started playing them I felt the tweeters were poor. I gave them time to break in and while they did improve much, I felt like they left a lot to desire. At lower volumes they sound great! However the moment you up the volume; it gets crazy! Now being the noob that I am (my first set of real speakers), I can't say that I know exactly what a tweeter sounds like when it starts distorting but if I had to guess I think thats whats happining. If there is a song with alot of highs or symols; oh god, you're ears bleed alittle! Being in such a close proximity with the speakers; I never really turn them very loud. Even so, the tweeters just overpower everything at moderate volumes and result in ear piercing highs and one bad headache. As a whole I've happy with my setup. The subwoofer (martinlogan dynimo 300) sounds good and so do the mids on the miccas (even if there lacking). Then theres the screaming tweeters xD.
So this lead me to the idea of replacing them.
I would rather stick to tweeters that have an OD of 2 1/2'' since that is the stock tweeter cutout. While I do feel comfortable modding the speaker enclosure, I would rather not since I don't have the proper tools. While looking I found these (the only pair that look good and fit the stock cutout): parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd28f-6-1-1-8-neodymium-dome-tweeter--275-040
Would these sound any better then the originals? Also how well would they work with the exisiting crossovers? This leads me to my next question; would this upgrade be worth it? Would it be a better idea to just buy new speakers? I figured this would be the less expencive way of doing it and since these speakers are only 1 year old, maybe the smarter to.

Setup pictures:
i.imgur.com/IW0OdPx.jpg
i.imgur.com/kgzJP7A.jpg
i.imgur.com/z4N2v6M.jpg
(had to remove the http part in the links since I'm not allowed to post links yet) :\
Thanks for you're help in advance
What are you using to power the speakers? This sounds like one of those Zeos setups, so I am guessing a t-amp. You are likely turning your amp up too loud, and overexerting the speakers or causing the amp to clip.

Replacing tweeters isn't as easy as just dropping in something new, the crossover inside the speaker is based on a specific driver and you would have to hunt down something with similar specs and size, and then you will still have mismatched speakers. I would just recommend buying a new pair of speakers since they are so inexpensive, and be more mindful of power limitations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you using to power the speakers? This sounds like one of those Zeos setups, so I am guessing a t-amp. You are likely turning your amp up too loud, and overexerting the speakers or causing the amp to clip.

Replacing tweeters isn't as easy as just dropping in something new, the crossover inside the speaker is based on a specific driver and you would have to hunt down something with similar specs and size, and then you will still have mismatched speakers. I would just recommend buying a new pair of speakers since they are so inexpensive, and be more mindful of power limitations.
No, not at all! I use a dayton apa 150.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
If they have always sounded "off" it might have been a lemon from the start. I am not sure what the warranty on those is but you could try contacting Micca and see. Perhaps they will sell you a replacement tweeter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sell Micca's. Wait for BF Sale.....wait for it....

Buy EMP/RBH r5 bookshelves
So new speaker time? That was fast :D I looked at the r5 bookshelf speakers you recomended; they look nice. What do you think about the DALI - ZENSOR 1s? I've been eyeing them for some time now. Oh and the KEF Q100WH look interesting. What do you think about thoes two, do they sound any good? I use a dayton apa-150 to power my speakers. It's overkill for these miccas as I have to lower the preamp so I don't shread them xD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they have always sounded "off" it might have been a lemon from the start. I am not sure what the warranty on those is but you could try contacting Micca and see. Perhaps they will sell you a replacement tweeter.
There not lemons :\ I bought a pair of micca cb3s when they were like $35. They use the same tweeters so I swapped the tweeters in the cb3s with the MB42Xs. They sounded exactly the same! :3 I also checked about replacemnt tweeters and they cost $40.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I have the MB42x's as my desktop setup and they're not bad. Definitely not even remotely close to the EMP/RBH r5 bookshelves though. I don't turn the Micca's up very loud ever since they're nearfield. Don't use them that much to be honest

If you know you don't like them, I'd sell them and look into something else. The RBH bookshelves are about half the price of the Dali's. KEF's are even more than the Dali's. Wait for BF deal on RBH and those are stupid low (if they discount the r5 bookshelves). If they don't, they're still known to be incredible for the price. Look incredible too! Order them and if you don't like 'em, ship them back for $15 or so and start looking again. The KEF's will go the lowest by specs, then the Dali, then RBH. No telling what real world in your place will yield though. Sensitivity is about the same on all of them. The Dali is classified as a 6ohm speaker. Not sure if there are dips down to 3-4ohm's down low or not, but that's something to watch

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
There not lemons :\ I bought a pair of micca cb3s when they were like $35. They use the same tweeters so I swapped the tweeters in the cb3s with the MB42Xs. They sounded exactly the same! :3 I also checked about replacemnt tweeters and they cost $40.
Yeah replacing them is not worth the money, put that $40 towards new speakers. The Infinity Primus P163 are on sale for $60 each right now and would be a nice choice. It really depends on how much you want to spend. The EMP E5Bi would be a great choice, but the $300/pair bookshelf market is very competitive and you have lots of options.

Do you know what kind of sound you like? Bright, neutral, warm, etc.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah replacing them is not worth the money, put that $40 towards new speakers. The Infinity Primus P163 are on sale for $60 each right now and would be a nice choice. It really depends on how much you want to spend. The EMP E5Bi would be a great choice, but the $300/pair bookshelf market is very competitive and you have lots of options.

Do you know what kind of sound you like? Bright, neutral, warm, etc.?
I like warm sounding better. My cousin's dad has a pair of polk bookshelf speakers. I can't remember exactly what they are but the point is, they are more "fun". The audio is nice and warm and when the vol goes up to insanity levels the tweeters are still smooth and dont sound like a piece of glass driving through you're ears. I'm looking more for something like that :)

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would skip the C series, there are much better options out there. The KEF Q series however is a good option, http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ies-5-1/4-inch-bookshelf-speakers-pair/1.html
Hey its me again!
Would my amp be able to power a pair of KEF Q300s? I use a Dayton apa 150: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812
This amp easily overpowers these micca MB42Xs but they are 4 ohm speakers. Also would my sub sound poor compaired to something like the Q300s? I use a MartinLogan dynamo 300: http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-300-Theater-Subwoofer/dp/B004LRPXAU

1 - 20 of 26 Posts