AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and got my Cox cable card and their tuner box. Hooked it up and got it working and I get less watchable channels than I did without cable card? It only tunes in 39 channels and only 19 are watchable without drm which are my local channels. I only have Cox Essentials package but I should get all my channels in HD plus some extras as stated on the Cox website with a cable box or cable card. What the hell is going on? Thought the cable card was the cure for watching all these channels in HD? There is some type of filter in the box but no explanation for it in English! Really sucks when I can actually watch more channels without the card!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Sounds like Cox's rep screwed up when they activated your cablecard. I had a lot of issues originally as well because they didnt do something right and some of the channels were missing. It took like 3 or 4 calls till i got a competent tech on the line, but this was with Comcast.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Went and got my Cox cable card and their tuner box. Hooked it up and got it working and I get less watchable channels than I did without cable card? It only tunes in 39 channels and only 19 are watchable without drm which are my local channels. I only have Cox Essentials package but I should get all my channels in HD plus some extras as stated on the Cox website with a cable box or cable card. What the hell is going on? Thought the cable card was the cure for watching all these channels in HD? There is some type of filter in the box but no explanation for it in English! Really sucks when I can actually watch more channels without the card!
If you need help, post more information. For example, Prime has a log that can tell you a lot of details what's going on with the tuner. Cox put a lot of channels in copy-once. So, you still need to deal with DRM even with CableCard. Not sure what are your expectations.

Sounds to me you are setting it up as Digital tuner (QAM) instead of CableCard tuner? But without any details, we don't know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might need a tuning adapter (essentially another box about half the size of a cable box that connects to the HDHR Prime via USB) from Cox to get all of your Channels. I got one from Time Warner despite not needing it, but sometimes it is necessary to receive all of your channels.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand and have looked at all the info but don't really know what most of it means. I now the yellow light on the front of the Cox box never stops blinking as it should. After talking to another person from Cox late yesterday and they tried resetting everything numerous times to no avail. They made an appointment for a tech to come to my house today. As far as what I expect from HD Homerun Prime at the moment I expect it to allow me to watch my TV shows in HD as claimed on the Cox website on my laptop with 8.1 and DLNA capable TV's until I get my new HTPC built and PVR capabilities up and running and streaming via MC. It shows with my TV Essentials package I a should be able to watch all my available channels in HD with a cable box or cable card. BTW I'm also using wifi from my Netgear R7000 at least for now.

As far as setup on HD Homerun I noticed only one tuner is available to use with my current setup
13ED51E 3 tuners - cable card - status OK
Virtual ch table mode - auto
Automatically select available tuners

Cable Card Status

Card - Motorola
Card Authentication - Success
Card Validation - Success
Tuning Resolver - disabled
3DES encryption - Supported
OOB - Frequency - 75.250 MHZ
OOB lock - 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength - 89%
Signal Quality 100%
Channel List - Cable card - oob

Let me know what info would be helpful to resolve my issues.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Davis449.
I do have the box from Cox hooked up. The yellow light on the front never stops blinking and I guess it should once its all activated at least that's what I understand from the Cox tech on the phone. I have moved everything from the basement to the living room and that did improve my signal strength but not the issues. In fact I got more viewable channels without the cable card and Cox tuner box hooked up! I'm not even sure how many lights should be on the HD Homerun? Be nice if it came with some kind of a basic manual.

Well I better get to bed since I got off work at 7am so I can get up for the Cox tech showing up between 3-5.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The yellow light should be solid on the turning adapter. It only blinks at the beginning when you turn it on. On the hdhomerun prime, the left two lights should be also solid. The right three lights are for the three turners. When you turn on one channel, one of them would be on.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
It looks like your tuning adapter isn't working. Without it, you will only receive subset of channels that are not on SDV. Not sure about Motorola TA, my Cox's Cisco TA requires me to activate it first. Then, it takes some time to download latest firmware before the status light turns solid. Sometimes it is helpful to get TA disconnected from the USB port on Prime to let it fully initialize.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
As far as what I expect from HD Homerun Prime at the moment I expect it to allow me to watch my TV shows in HD as claimed on the Cox website on my laptop with 8.1 and DLNA capable TV's until I get my new HTPC built and PVR capabilities up and running and streaming via MC.
Are you using Windows Media Center? If not you won't be able to tune any of the channels that the cable company flagged "Copy Once".

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on my HD. The tech from Cox stopped by 1.5 hrs. early and woke me up with a phone call waiting outside. Anyway he replaced the cox tuner box and cable card and now I have more channels than I really want! Even the movie channels that I wasn't expecting since the rep at Cox never mentioned anything about free promo anything. Wow, definitely takes a while to setup one of these and scan channels. I had also contacted Silicondust with a trouble report. Anyway I do have some channels with signal strength in the 78-79 range but not very many. Most are 80-83. I can say that I can watch full HD on both my Samsung 55-6203 and my Panasonic 50-GT50 plasma. Interface on the Panasonic so much better than the budget Samsung which the back arrow doesn't even work! I will confirm I don't seem able to watch the movie channels in HD with my 8.1 laptop but I think everything else works, but I haven't done to much viewing on the laptop yet. Not concerned about recording anything at this point. Decided to wait for a motherboard with usb 3.1 coming out soon. I know, you don't need such fancy gear for htpc but since it's my 2nd build ever after probably 12 years after the first one with XP it might as well be one to be proud of and slightly future ready even though I probably won't be smart enough to operate it properly!!:eek::)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts