AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my computer for almost two years now. It is an HP Media Center Edition [2005, I think] m7060n with tuner and remote.

Just recently [a few months ago] my scanner and camera wizard stopped working. I have tried everything to repair the problem through troubleshooting, but it still does not recognize any devices. I have an HP all-in-One printer/scanner/etc. The printer works fine but it will not recognize the fax. Both of my digital cameras are not recognized when they are plugged in. Their own programs wont recognize that they are connected with the computer. The work fine with all other computers though. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling over and over with no luck. I have tried updating everything I could, with no luck. The error message states:"The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera... etc" I have even run repair software that said there was a problem, but there was not a solution.

Now, just over this past week, I keep receiving an error message every 10 seconds about the Media Center Receiver Service. The error message states: "Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Although, if I leave it open it stops popping up and I can do what I need to on the computer But since then, when I go to turn on the TV in Media Center I get the following error message: "Tuner Not Installed. Video cannot be displayed because no tuner hardware has been detected. Please check that your tuner hardware is properly installed and connected" -And it is. I changed nothing on my computer from the time it worked to the hours later when it didn't anymore.

I need to figure out how to fix these two problems.

I have had no success backing up all of my files and movies, so I haven't been able to do a complete system restore

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Seems to sound to me like something isnt plugged in or there is a problem with motherboard/psu/ram/hdd.

I suggest restoring your bios settings to default and checking everything is plugged in right on your motherboard, narrowing down the possibilities till you find the culprit, unfortunatley these kind of problems are so hard to find...

I had a simular case and it was down to a bad stick of memory, you can download mem test to test your memory.

Maybe download some benchmarking software,test each component individually and see when ur pc crashes, you will then know what the problem is relating to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would you go about checking that everything is plugged in correctly on the motherboard? And why, if I never moved it, would something come unplugged?

I had some software that tested the plug and play components but all it said was that there is a problem but there was no solution. That just seems crazy to me.

I am at the point where I am ready to hire someone to come and back up everything and restart my computer.

If I could back up all my files [movies, music, pictures, documents, etc] I could restore the system setting to when I first got the computer and made the back up recovery discs. But I have had no sucess backing up my files. With all the software I have bought, none of it is working. It always stops during the first disc saying there is an error and to start the process over.

Something is terribly wrong with my computer. I am trying to start an online business and this is the ABSOLUTE WORST time for my computer to funk up.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
From experience it will be an individual component in your pc, unless you have the proffesional means to test it you will have to narrow down the options.

A pc is not a rock, the same as most modern technology, it can go wrong sometimes without reason and sometimes re plugging everything in,cleaning your pc and restoring bios settings to default works.

Its just computers for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason, my tuner started working again. I didn't do anything, it just started back up. Which is fantastic, but I like understand why everything works the way it does.

The plug and play functions still do not work though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.