AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased the Pioneer vsx-517 a few years back and I never completely got it working. For some reason it seems that only two speakers at a time will work. My speakers came pre-wired into my house. They are installed into the ceiling. I have my cables plugged into them but only the cables that are plugged into the front speaker portion work. I can plug those cables into the plugs for each different speaker and they would work every time but the surround portion never works
. I verified that each one is connected fine. I am a noob at using this receiver also :/. Any ideas? Any settings I have to mess with?

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Use the speakers that are working, and try each speaker post in the rear of the Pio AVR, then visa versa with speakers. Like that you'll know what works and what doesn't...It could be the prewired speakers, or bad amp on your receiver.

Good luck and lets know.

Djoel

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
It's where the speaker wires are connected to behind your receiver. What I'm trying to have you do is eliminated the problem whether it be the AVR, or the pre wired speakers...I'm hoping if there is a problem, that it's the AVR, and not the speakers.As it can be much more expensive if you need to hire someone, who will then need to either remove the wires, or the speakers, or worst remove dry wall!!!

Djoel

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

We're just trouble shooting, trying to see if your speaker posts/ connectors/ on your receiver working correctly. After you do that would want to make sure all your speaker are working as well. One at a time, I would take note to make sure you don't confuse the speakers. I would put some sort of tape, marking with a WORKING/ NOT WORKING Again to eliminate where is your problem either from your speakers, or your AVR. aka receiver.

The below is a picture of the back of an AVR, the speaker post are RED and BLACK in this particular picture.

Djoel

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your problem could be any of the following:

Bad speakers, unlikely that both would give you no sound.

Bad wiring to speakers that don't work. A little more likely, but I doubt someone just cut the wires in a remodel for example.

Bad amp in receiver, unlikely if you've never used it, but could have been DOA right out of the box when new

You haven't pushed the right button yet on AVR. For example, if one set of speakers are identified as "A" and one set as "B", and you have the option of playing set A, or set B, or both sets at the same time A+B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.